• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Crystal replacement tools

dopes

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/10/11
hey guys

I thinking about replacing my PO crystal and I've been reading about it. I am wondering if I need the crystal removal tool or if I can pop it out by hand?

Also is there a tool to put the crystal back on? I can seem to find any info on that.

Cheers. I hope this modding hobby doesn't turn into an addiction.

Frazer

7/9/10
I popped mine out today by hand and fitted with a small wrist hammer

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
If you mean the tool with the fingers on it that is for plexi crystals, not glass/sapphire.
You can usually pop the crystal out by hand and either use a (perfectly) flat surface to press it in again our use a crystal press such as those sold by trusted dealer Watchbitz: www.watchbitz.com.au

Rick914

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/11
Texas
its called a Crystal press, you can find them on Ebay and a bunch of other places. Watchbiz has them(Offshore @ RWI), if you register and tel them you are a RWI member you get a discount. http://watchbitz.com.au/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=53

You wont necessarily need one to remove the crystal but i highly recommend one to install if you wish to keep the gasket. If you dont plan on reusing the gasket, youll need to glue it in place and wont need the press to reinstall.

And yes, it can very easily turn into an addiction quickly.

I popped mine out today by hand and fitted with a small wrist hammer
You installed with a hammer????:picard:

dopes

26/10/11
ah thanks for the fast responses. so i just need more muscle to pop it out lol

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
I use plastic die from the crystal press put it on the back of the glass and then hit it with a hammer to pop it out. and always use the crystal press when i put the crystal back to be sure the edges ar aligned against the gasket. Just push it back with fingers may result in gasket damage and the watch will leak. (You can also use a plastic coke cap and a hammer for removal) :)

Sultan Brunei

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/12
I use plastic die from the crystal press put it on the back of the glass and then hit it with a hammer to pop it out. and always use the crystal press when i put the crystal back to be sure the edges ar aligned against the gasket. Just push it back with fingers may result in gasket damage and the watch will leak. (You can also use a plastic coke cap and a hammer for removal) :)

Can I apply your technique for pam crystal removal? (a 1951 case one)

How do I use plastic coke cap and hammer for removal ? Put the plastic coke cap above the crystal and then just hammer it in? wont the crystal go down further more? lol