• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

CrPO bezel mod on a pumpkin (Pics inside!)

DMS

Renowned Member
31/12/09
The first thing I noticed when receiving the pumpkin CrPO was the shine on the bezel. It was exactly like the older version PO, too much shine compared to the newer CrPO that has a matte finish.

Old style pumpkin bezel:

New style bezel:

So I decided to mod the bezel. A matte coating would possibly do the job. So step one was removing the bezel. Having done this on a PloProf before I thought heating it up would do the trick. Well, it did, after a wild ride... Blisters on my fingers (heated aluminium is no fun) as a result and a little scratch on the bezel later I could finally take it off. Remving the crystal if you have a press is a easier job (Sunnydale tried this before).

The bezel off:

I popped the pearl out (was not sitting perfectly) and tipped the black triangle with a touch of black paint (Tamiya, plastic model paint) Then I went on spraying the bezel with three coats of matte clear coat finish. Then I reinstalled the pearl.

And a (test)fit on the watchcase:

It makes all the difference I think! What do you guys think? :D

ericb196

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
18/5/11
Fantastic work, I find it really nice !!

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
It looks really good!!! But did you heat it with the movement in the watch?

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
If I ever get one of these pumpkins I will probably be swaping the insert out with a gen. I like this model more and more every time I look at it.

Great job DMS!

dsmdave

Renowned Member
15/1/11
Looks 100x better. Thanks for doing to mod and letting others see what it looks like.

Matt_S

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/9/12
I can't help but think it would have been loads easier to just pop the bezel off first to get at the insert?

DMS

Renowned Member
31/12/09
Thanks guys!

I can't help but think it would have been loads easier to just pop the bezel off first to get at the insert?

You are probably right...but a few have attempted that and with no luck. Popping the crystal out would have been an even more easier task, but you would need a crystall press. I don't have one and didn't feel for the wait after ordering one...I am one impatient son of a b*tch. :D:

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
proper good job lad, very well done,
twas really my first impression with the pumpkin CrPo,
it had the same glossy previous gen bezel..
A gen rubber strap will make this 99.5% comparison to the gen

DMS

Renowned Member
31/12/09
Great job mate! Definitely makes a big difference!

Thanx mate! Did the job without popping the crystal out. Was way more intense...haha!

proper good job lad, very well done,
twas really my first impression with the pumpkin CrPo,
it had the same glossy previous gen bezel..
A gen rubber strap will make this 99.5% comparison to the gen

Thank you sir, I am looking for the 8500 orange rubber strap atm. That strap really suits this model.

armybuck041

Known Member
27/1/13
Thanks guys!

You are probably right...but a few have attempted that and with no luck. Popping the crystal out would have been an even more easier task, but you would need a crystall press. I don't have one and didn't feel for the wait after ordering one...I am one impatient son of a b*tch. :D:

Yup, I agree...

Way too easy to poo poo the bezel on these things without a bezel remover.