• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Creating a Tropical dial with UV light?

kasterborus

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/6/19
I'm about to build my second "vintage" rep and wondered if anyone has ever tried creating a tropical dial effect with UV light?

I have some intense UVC lights that are used for sterilizing rooms. I am told that the UV content to 20 times more than sunlight... and never to look directly at them. I was wondering if I did a controlled exposure over a month, with so many minutes per day... if this could recreate decades of lounging by the pool?

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
Tried it. Have left dials out in the sun before. Not a lot of difference. There's something about a combination of UV, salt water, and whatever else that makes the dials age. Oh, and crappy paint. That's the real secret. The paint. Modern stuff does not "go tropical" like the old stuff. Sorry!

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
there is a guy in the 1016 thread who tried this in laboratory conditions with high power UV and humidity control with a Raffles dial

the results were underwhelming. Watercolor, airbrush (and some artistic talent) give a much better result

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I tried that on a Vostok and also a Raffles
It's not great.

It is brown. But it looks nothing like a true tropical.

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
saw a guy with a dial who aged it in Coca Cola. It was pretty nice looking

Phosphoric acid in the Coke will do that. But still not the tropical look I'm looking for.

I actually tried hydrochloric acid. Let's just said part of the dial was eaten through. Way too quick acting.

• Wow
Reactions: 369mafia

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
I tried that on a Vostok and also a Raffles
It's not great.

It is brown. But it looks nothing like a true tropical.
Ive tried this and exposed it to sun at the same time and I didnt notice any changes to the raffles dials