• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Could we see this in 8500 reps?

• Thread starter d4m.test
  • Start date
D

d4m.test

So last night, I was doing some tube, crown and stem work on my six year old Breitling rep. For the past couple of years I've not really appreciated the beauty of the movement (display case back), but it caught my eye as its appearance is far closer to the 8500 than the movements we see in the PO reps. The swirl pattern on the main frame and the shape and position of the balance bridge would give the rep PO's a much better look.

I'm not sure what the movement is, but seem to recall the dealer stating it was an Asian clone. Seems to be low beat though. See what you think, and excuse the crappy iPhone photo, I forgot to take a good one when the thing was dissected.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
I can't see your pic clearly but I think you are on about is perlage:

this sort of thing:

perlage.jpg

It is on some reps already, depends on the movements used, you often see it on sellita and sometimes clones, a2892 etc.

As for adding or modding plates/bridges, they do sometimes, on a7750 etc but is difficult and wont usually happen unless it can be used in big rep range, e.g. hublot etc.

Best we can hope for with a 8500 is similar rotor to the one already available, and then some perlage and geneve waves on the bridging, ...similar to the newer AP RO reps:

AP2013082101-129c_enl.jpg

Also here is a nice example of a sellita with some balance bridge mods:

movement2.jpg

It can be done afaik but it is just too much bother for them to do mods like this for individual watches, much easier to just stick on a decorated rotor and ship the rep out. We may see more movement decor in the future in reps as more and more gens have displaybacks and inhouse movements now.