• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Could someone please...

JPBreit

Do not accept unsolicited offers
26/4/09
Tell me the difference between all these movements? I'm a newbie to the rep scene, and don't understand all the movement stuff. From my current understanding i realise that Asian 21J movements are cheaper than Asian 7750 movements. Have no clue what Quartz movements are etc. Also what's the bhp thing about? Is that just how fast it moves at? HELP! :oops:

sconehead

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/07
The higher the bph (beats per hour) the smoother the sweep of the second hand on a mechanical watch. Asian 21j watches normally beat at 21,600 (6 ticks per second) whereas ETA/CLONE ETA's beat at 28,800 (8 times per second) and therefore sweep smoother. The 7750 is what is known as a chrono movement which means it has sub dials so you can use it as a stopwatch...hope this helps... :wink:

kendog870

30/6/09
Im new too and it takes alot of time and research to understand these movements. but you have come to the right place. There are alot of experts here. Oh the one thing i do know is , Quartz means the watch is battery operated
JPBreit said:
Tell me the difference between all these movements? I'm a newbie to the rep scene, and don't understand all the movement stuff. From my current understanding i realise that Asian 21J movements are cheaper than Asian 7750 movements. Have no clue what Quartz movements are etc. Also what's the bhp thing about? Is that just how fast it moves at? HELP! :oops:

jmgentry

Known Member
5/7/09
Dang I got hoodwinked!!! The dealer told me quartz was a new type of High End Mechanical Movement. :evil:

I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!! :cry:

Just kidding :shock: :lol:

Here are some common terms you will see and read about on dealer website hope this helps:

QUARTZ MOVEMENT A movement powered by a quartz crystal. Quartz crystals are very accurate. They can be mass produced which makes them less expensive than most mechanical movements which require a higher degree craftsmanship.

CRYSTAL The clean cover over the watch face. Three types of crystals are commonly found in watches. Acrylic crystal, a plastic, is inexpensive and shallow scratches can be buffed out. Mineral crystal is comprised of several elements that are heat treated to create unusual hardness that aids in resisting scratches. Sapphire crystal is the most expensive and durable, approximately three times harder than mineral crystals and 20 time harder than acrylic crystals. A non-reflective coating on some sport styles prevents glare.

MECHANICAL MOVEMENT A movement powered by a mainspring, working in conjunction with a balance wheel.

COMPLICATION Additional function with respect to the manual-winding basic movement for the display of hours, minutes and seconds. Today, certain features, such as automatic winding or date, are taken for granted, although they should be defined as complications. The main complications are moonphase, power reserve, GMT, and full calendar. Further functions are performed by the so-called great complications, such as split-second chronograph, perpetual calendar, tourbilon device, and minute repeater.

MANUAL A mechanical movement in which winding is performed by hand. The motion transmitted from the user’s fingers to the crown is forwarded to the movement through the winding stem, from this to the barrel through a series of gears and finally to the mainspring.

CROWN Usually positioned on the case middle and allows winding, hand setting and often date or GMT hand setting. As it is linked to the movement through the winding stem passing through a hole in the case. For waterproofing purposes, simple gaskets are used in water-resistant watches, while diving watches adopt screwing systems (screw-down crowns).

SCREW-DOWN LOCKING CROWN A crown which aids water resistance by sealing the crown against the case. The seal is achieved by the matching of a threaded pipe on the case with the crown's internal threads and gasketing while twisting the crown to lock it into place.

AUTOMATIC A watch whose mechanical movement is wound automatically. A rotor makes short oscillations due to the movements of the wrist. Through a series of gears, oscillations transmit motion to the barrel, thus winding the mainspring progressively.

ROTOR In automatic-winding mechanical movements the rotor is the part that, by its complete or partial revolutions and the movements of human arm, allows winding of the mainspring.

CHRONOMETER A high-precision watch. According to the Swiss law, a manufacture may put the word “chronometer†on a model only after each individual piece has passed a series of tests and obtained a running bulletin and a chronometer certificate by an acknowledged Swiss control authority, such as the COSC.

UNIDIRECTIONAL ROTATING BEZEL An elapsed time rotating bezel (see "elapsed time rotating bezel"), often found on divers' watches, that moves only in a counterclockwise direction. It is designed to prevent a diver who has unwittingly knocked the bezel off its original position from overestimating his remaining air supply. Because the bezel moves in only one direction, the diver can err only on the side of safety when timing his dive. Many divers' watches are ratcheted, so that they lock into place for greater safety.

VPH (vibrations per hour): Movement of a pendulum or other oscillating element, limited by two consecutive extreme positions. The balance of a mechanical watch generally makes five or six vibrations per second (i.e. 18,000 or 21,600 per hour), but that of a high-frequency watch may make seven, eight or even ten vibrations per second (i.e. 25,200, 28,800 or 36, 000 per hour).

CHRONOGRAPH A watch that includes a built-in stopwatch function, i.e. a timer that can be started and stopped to time an event. There are many variations of the chronograph.

COSC Abbreviation of “Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres,†the most important Swiss institution responsible for the functioning and precision tests of movements of chronometers. Tests are performed on each individual watch at different temperatures and in different positions before a functioning bulletin and a chronometer certificate are issued, for which a maximum gap of -4/+4 seconds per day is tolerated.

HELIUM VALVE Valve inserted in the case of some professional diving watches to discharge the helium contained in the air mixture inhaled by divers.

ROTATING BEZEL A bezel (the ring surrounding the watch face) that can be turned. Different types of rotating bezels perform different time keeping and mathematical functions.

JPBreit

Do not accept unsolicited offers
26/4/09
Thanks for the posts, very informative! Bloody hell though! There is so much to learn! lol
So let me get this right... A Quartz movement is powered by a battery. Whereas an automatic movement, for example an A7750 (correct me if i'm wrong) is powered by the movement of the wrist to provide energy to the mainspring, and therefore keep the watch running? :S Arghh! If so, doesn't that technically mean that if you left the watch say in a box for a long period of time and didn't move it, that it would stop? Or have i got this completely wrong? :/

kendog870

30/6/09
You are correct Sir! If you dont wear the watch with automatic movement. It will stop :)