• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cost of replacing crown/tube on SMP chrono?

bonecollector

Known Member
21/4/09
I just got an SMP chrono in trade from a member, unscrewed the crown (came loose after half a turn), set the time - crown won't screw back down. I used my usual technique with screwing down a crown - "unscrew" gently until I feel a click, then screw in. Well, no luck, so I'm guessing it has a stripped crown/tube. How much should a repair and a new crown/tube cost? I'm not really interested in making it a "franken" so are rep crowns/tubes available anywhere?

Thanks

Kerbus

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
FL
I can tell you that back when I once had to order a new crown/tube , I asked the dealer I got it from it, Josh, if he would sell them to me. I paid $35 shipped for them but that was a while ago. I can't tell you the specific cost of a replacement of the two because I included them in a larger repair I had the watch shipped out for.

I've read just recently of folks being able to get new crowns and tubes from dealers, so I would just pick some dealers and ask around. You'll probably have to wait several weeks for them to arrive.

Targa

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/10
I just paid $39.00 for new tube and installation...crown was not the problem (and usually isnt)

PM Me if you want details

tokeyx

27/3/11
I had Vac install a gen crown, tube and seal the HE valve. Was $125 for all 3.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
FYI....On my SD, the Gen crown works perfect on the rep tube.
(Just in case someone wanted to know :) )

bonecollector

Known Member
21/4/09
Anyone have a source for a rep crown/tube, other than Speedy who seems to have a three-month turnaround time?