• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Correct SMP Rep project

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
Hey RWG!,

The SMP was always my favorite watch. Too bad that after all the years there is no close rep available!
So! A project for me!
What would be the best start for a accurate smp? Is there any chance to get correct a case with correct HE valve placement?

Gen dial is like 80euro... can be bought... i could also could relume the dial ... but it needs all the markers and good waves and good printing of course..

Gen hands are very cheap and could be bought if needed...

I have a bracelet that uses pins...

Insert... aftermarket insert are available from 16$ if needed...

--
It should be as cheap as possible as if it would get too expensive it is not worth it as the gen is not that expensive..

Open for ideas, offers, critics!

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
i was just looking at gen SMP cases at O'frei and yikes they are over $600.00 dollars...I began dismantling my 007 this morning and bid on a gen dial on Ebay although the dial I have now is much cleaner...gonna try and do what takashi did with his except not change HEV position...

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
Thanks. I know that there is this 007 case with correct HE placement... but that would make it really expensive... but thanks!

Natron

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
11/10/06
kind of like buying an MBW sub and start modding. You know you have $350 into it before you start. I just bought a fully modded 111h and that was $400. So it is never gonna be cheap.

I think you need to pick a watch you really like and go from there. Whether it is buying the gen or doing a nice mod.

Nate

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
Well the 007 case... i would have incorrect back,dial, hands etc.... no idea about markings etc... or what would fit it... escpecially the back!

Hyster

29/7/06
I have just picked up an smp rep (eyecandy section) and did think about modding it but to be honest I know I would not be happy spending a fair ammount of cash on it when it could be put towards a gen.

I know we are all into reps here but considering the price of the gen secondhand, I would respectfuly suggest that might be the way to go.

Thats what I plan to do.

thelawnmowerman

Renowned Member
2/4/06
What are the chances of one of our more influencial dealers commissioning a more faithful rep, it cant be that hard for them to do.

OldeCrow

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/06
You can buy a great used SMP for well under a thousand! even the automatic, the quartz I have seen for 500-600
hell I saw a black SMP GMT sell for under a thousand last week!

You guys have no business wasting your money on reps of watches that you can afford if you just save your rep fund for a couple of months!

pssst here is a great link for finding great deals on watches on the lightside forums the link is set up for seamaster results right at the moment but you will figure out how to search for anything you want easily enough:

hxxp://www.elitedealseeker.com/index.cg ... tion=Searc

as evidence I submit my "our dealers suck because they don't take paypal anymore and have forced me to go back to buying watches on the light side" watch:

9c911be7.jpg

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
I tend to agree with OldeCrow. Genuine is the way to go for SMP model. The availability of good SMP replica is not good these days. Beside, genuine second hand cost less than 1000USD. Not worth to mod with genuine case, bracelet, etc. Case and bracelet alone will cost you above 1000USD. Buying a genuine second hand SMP will make more sense. When you need the money, you can always sell it with no loss or you may even gain some money.

Here's a few pictures for you:

dscn5979np5.jpg

dscn5995hf4.jpg

dscn5998cs4.jpg

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Well I have another suggestion. Go and mod SMP Chrono version. Seems to be much more worth it. ETA7750 will set you back 250USD. You have a reliable movement then. All hands will fit except chrono second counter which you can get for less than 20USD. Reluming dial, you can do it on your own, practice on your SMP. All in all, you get a watch for less than 500USD which is really close to the genuine. Since bracelet is a dead giveaway, settle for genuine sharkskin, genuine Omega buckle. You won't be disappointed.

dscn5793yt8.jpg

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
Nice advices... thanks

I know that spending too much on a correct SMP is not worth it... but the gen is too expensive for me, so I thought there was a way with staying under 300$...

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Under 300 will be getting the chrono SMP :p much better in build quality.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Well, put the project on hold then. As modding it is not that worth it due to high cost involved.

OldeCrow

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/06
You can always buy a used gen SMP and upgrade to the bond dial (hands too?) and bond clasp.
As long as you don't look at the caseback it will be "BOND"