• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Comparison of the 21j 2813 and 25j 3187 movements

DR3M3L

TECHMIN
Advisor
27/10/14

In this video I have the Replica Rolex Submariner Ceramic bezel on the left. The motor powering this watch is the 21 jewel 2813 movement. This motor beats at 21,600 beats per hour or 6 beats per second. On the right is the Rolex Explorer II that has the new 3187 clone swiss movement with 25 jewels. This motor beats at 28,800 beats per hour or 8 beats per second.

The second hand on the Explorer moves smoother than the seconds hand on the Submariner in this video. The motor in the Explorer is rated at the same beats per hour as the genuine Rolex model.

You can see that the seconds hand in the submariner has a slight hesitation as it is moving because it has a lower beats per hour rating.

From a distance of several feet away it's not that noticeable but up close it is a dead give away that the slower beating movement is not a genuine watch.

After 1990 all Rolex models moved up to the high beat movements. So if you have a replica of an older Rolex the slower beat movement might be correct for that watch, but if you have a replica of a modern day Rolex it should have the high beat movement in it, that has a smoother sweep to it. This is, of course if you want to have a watch that is an accurate replica of the genuine model.

The 21j slow beat motors are of course cheaper to buy than the high beat motors, but in my opinion it is worth the extra 100 bucks to have the high beat motor because it is more accurate to the genuine watch.

A lot of people have asked me about these two movements so hopefully this video shows the difference well enough. The motor in the sub has been very reliable actually, as I had it for a year before I gave it to a friend this winter, and it is still keeping good time. I just don't like looking down at my watch and seeing the seconds hand hesitating instead of sweeping smoothly. That's why I prefer the high beat movements and because the genuine watches have the same type of movement.

Please let me know if I've missed something or got something wrong. My opinions on the slow beat movements are just that. opinions. Don't like them, never will unless the gen had that movement.

Thank you for watching.

freeboy

Renowned Member
10/2/15
It is interesting, I have several stuttereers, but I also have some non 28k super smoth autos, I wonder if its a QC issue...? thoughts?

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Here's a little more visualization: 6 vs 8 beats in a 1 second increment.

DavidTaiwan

27/8/14
Norway
I have both 21j gmt movement and a 25j gmt movement. Anyone knows if the hands are interchangeable?

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers