• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cleaning under the crystal on a seameaster

markoriley

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/6/09
Right guys, this should be a nice simple one for you. I have a Seamaster Planet Ocean and over time I have noticed a build up of a film under the crystal, looks like oil or grease.

What do you recommend to clean this off? I was thinking of opening the back up and taking the movement out, then just trying to wipe the crystal clean. Would this do the trick?

Thanks for your help,
Mark

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Take it or send it to a watch maker and have it pressure tested. What you see is water damage. It could be coming from the case-back but who knows. Now you need to de-case and clean anyway, so let a pro do it.

cipher325

Horology Curious
14/12/09
Same as above. It would happen to me when I first got my watch after a day at the lake or pool. Figured it was just a slight bit of moisture evaporating and condensing on the crystal. Just remove the caseback and movement and wipe it down.

14060 or 16610?

Renowned Member
2/3/07
Take it or send it to a watch maker and have it pressure tested. What you see is water damage. It could be coming from the case-back but who knows. Now you need to de-case and clean anyway, so let a pro do it.

+1. Also could be oil film; some watches are way overoiled and will leave a film of oil on the crystal over time, especially when heated.