• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean DD3285 broken rotor

MrRedBuller

Getting To Know The Place
22/9/24
Hello All,
I just got my first watch from Pure Time, it's a Rolex GMT BLNR 126710 from Clean DD3285 CHS. Pure Time has done a great job during the selling process, however the watch came with the rotor not being fixed to the movement... Because of this I didn't even wear it yet. It does a lot of noise when moving, since it has a loose part inside, and on top of it, since the rotor isn't working the watch isn't getting wind.

The watch has a 6 months warranty so I will probably ship it back, but I wanted to ask for any advice before doing so because the watch does work perfectly, it's just the rotor that doesn't stay on it's place. I am not sure why is the rotor falling off, if there is a part missing, if it's broken... It is a big shame, I was very much waiting for the watch to arrive but it came like this.
Any advice is very much welcomed, here are some pictures of the movement.

Thank you!

MrRedBuller

22/9/24
If someone that has the same movement can confirm would be awesome, but I guess the issue is that I'm missing this middle screw that has the triangular shape, attaching picture from Pure Time's webpage. My watch came without this middle piece.

Reaps

Learning something new everyday....
25/9/22
I don't really have solid advice for you but I'm sorry it has happened - the first batches of the DD3285 rotor had a weak screw like this and there were issues. I remeber reading some people having some similar issues about the rotor.

In my eyes I would prefer never to send stuff back to China and instead try to get PT to send a replacement rotor for you to replace, but that might be out of the question because these movements don't really have spare parts.

Just know sending your watch back to China is a gamble, and no TD will cover it if it gets lost or seized by Chinese customs on the return, etc.

If I were you, I'd actually just remove the automatic winding and make it a manual watch, wear it until it breaks, then get a new one. That's pretty shitty advice and it only applies to my taste but yeah. I'd rather lose the rotor winding of a watch than potentially lose out on $500 sending it back to China.

Reaps

Learning something new everyday....
25/9/22
Oh. my bad, I didn't read that this is a new watch.

In that case, did you peel the stickers off the watch already? If you kept it intact you can return it and get a new one straight off the bat I think. Need to double check with Puretime about their return policies.

Reactions: Dave2302

j-unit

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
12/3/23
CH🇨🇭GER 🇩🇪
Chances are high, that the screw is still inside as it was shipped in working condition from puretime. So it should be an easy fix for a watch smith while getting a partial refund from puretime.

Beside that, the triangular screw always bear some risk in DD3285 to become loose. It can be replaced by a gen screw which shouldn't be too expensive. I remember @derjenigewelcher did this on his batman - maybe he can confirm 🙂

derjenigewelcher

Watch enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Chances are high, that the screw is still inside as it was shipped in working condition from puretime. So it should be an easy fix for a watch smith while getting a partial refund from puretime.

Beside that, the triangular screw always bear some risk in DD3285 to become loose. It can be replaced by a gen screw which shouldn't be too expensive. I remember @derjenigewelcher did this on his batman - maybe he can confirm 🙂
Confirm.
The peoblem was mostly with the v1.
But ey, chinawatches are farytales still😂

Reactions: Dave2302 and j-unit

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
But it looks to me the affixation is broken also

Yes, pictures 1 &2 right in the middle is rough casting with irregular shape like a piece has broken off, it needs more than just a screw IMO.

Not that hard for a watchmaker to fix, if he can get the parts. It sucks, but ocassionaly shit like this happens, I agree with @Reaps , never ever send anything back to China, it almost certainly won't reach it's destination.

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
You will have to very carefully extract the remains of the screw. Then, it's easy. Get this and you'll be whizzing away like a champ.

Suggesting that this watch become a franken build with a screw for the rotor as the only gen part is hilarious.

However this will probably cost less (especially once shipping comes into play) and be less time than dealing with the TD.

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
Ah, thanks !!
OK, so that is the bottom of a sheared hollow screw I see, something else I've learned, so in that case yes, an easy repair once the broken piece is extracted (y)
Yep, so when it comes to extracting you'll see that the surface profile of the sheared screw matches that of a three-sided file. An Equaltaeral Triangle.
Basically, I'd be digging around in my sewing needle box for a thick one that I could then file down to that profile.
I would take my time and approach it systematically - creeping up on the correct size that fits the screw base but doesn't bottom out on to that ruby there. Make sure it fits exactly - as you only get one chance at this - if your needle extractor is loose at all in the hole it will strip the triangular shape round and then you'll be in to a whole new World of pain.
If you like the watch - it keeps good time - then take YOUR time doing this.

Btw: you have got the top section of the sheared screw . . .right?
If not - it's in there somewhere - in which case immediately hack the watch - pull the stem and stop it because I gaurantee you that screw is - as we speak - making it's way to the hairspring to f**** that movement up.

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
@316lad It's not my watch, but yes, I agree with all you say (y)

Better grab OP's attention here @MrRedBuller so he can hack it ASAP, in case he doesn't know what that means .... Unscrew crown and pull all the way out so watch stops ;)

Reactions: 316lad

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
Btw: you have got the top section of the sheared screw . . .right?
If not - it's in there somewhere - in which case immediately hack the watch - pull the stem and stop it because I gaurantee you that screw is - as we speak - making it's way to the hairspring to f**** that movement up.
This, bits loose are not good!

Adrian Barker (he of YouTube and Bark and Jack NATO strap infamy) dropped and broke the crystal on his (gen obv) Explorer II (ouch, how unlucky is that?) and left it running....it trashed the date disc with bits of broken crystal!
If it hacks, the second you know it has an issue, hack it! If it's a rep, it might save you a few quid and/or a dead watch, if it's gen, it might save you thousands.

Reactions: Dave2302 and 316lad

Dave2302

Self Confessed Eejit
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/11/23
Bumfuck Nowhere
bits loose are not good!

My wife can attest to that, it's what she said to me when we first met ....

Errrrm, adds hastily "When she was referring to her car that she brought in to have a failed gearbox rebuilt"

Kendall Jenner Lol GIF by DAVE

• Haha
Reactions: 316lad

MrRedBuller

22/9/24
Oh. my bad, I didn't read that this is a new watch.

In that case, did you peel the stickers off the watch already? If you kept it intact you can return it and get a new one straight off the bat I think. Need to double check with Puretime about their return policies.
Yes I did peel of the stickers, I was too excited when I got it... Puretime didn't put any issues I can send it back, but as you said I think it's a high risk that's why I want to avoid it. For the moment I want to look for this part and put it together myself. Now I need to find someone who sells it.

MrRedBuller

22/9/24

Screw isn't inside, I already checked, it's quite strange they shipped it without it.
I will definitely buy the spare part from somewhere, if you know anyplace I can get this from would be great.
About the partial refund, I didn't know that could be an option, I will ask for it because indeed the watch didn't come on conditions it should...
Thanks! :)

MrRedBuller

22/9/24
Yes, pictures 1 &2 right in the middle is rough casting with irregular shape like a piece has broken off, it needs more than just a screw IMO.

Not that hard for a watchmaker to fix, if he can get the parts. It sucks, but ocassionaly shit like this happens, I agree with @Reaps , never ever send anything back to China, it almost certainly won't reach it's destination.
So not even if Puretime suggests to send it back, I should not do it?