• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cheapest you've seen a moon watch go for on eBay?

hendrixelixir

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/8/07
I have begun my search for a moonwatch (3570) on eBay. It'll be awhile before I get the funds, but I want to know what kind of market I'm dealing with. So far, used ones seem to be selling in the $1200-2000 range. I've seen a few RARE examples go for cheaper. Is that the going rate everywhere? Anyone gotten a better deal than that?

It's been suggested I go look at second hand watch stores locally. A google search hasn't really helped. I am in the east bay area (northern california).

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
my dear lucky friend.

I am in the west bay :) or SF BAY to be exact.

here's the deal:

retail Omega 3570 goes for 3000 dollars. I wouldn't pick one up used for 2000 off of ebay, that's a bit much. 30% off of 3000 is roughly 2300 dollars.

In fact, i wouldn't really go for the bay for that kinda hi-end stuff unelss i really know what i'm doing.

What you would have to do is either a) find a used one at a jewelry store (hopefully pre-owned certified) - or buy new. Most jewelry stores will discount 15-20%, but yah gotta deal.

Let me tell you a secret though. In SF, off of stockton street (jade jewelers? something with jade at least - check the omega AD listings off of their site), is a chinese Authorized Dealer in rolexes, omegas, etc. I got my gen Omega PO there. They immediately start discounting me when i simply asked "oh, 3400? what's that with a discount?" - zero hassle. and they start me off at 25% for some reason :) i was able to push 30% and land a nice new watch for a really good deal.

Anyways, think of it as sacrificing a hi-end laptop, but will last MUCH longer than a laptop :)

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Get that high end laptop too... My ThinkPad T43 was built like a tank. It's been 2 years and I use it really as an heavy duty object. Bumped it a lot of time on airport, school, trains, etc.

Anyway, back to the topic; on eBay it is selling for about 1200.

hendrixelixir

11/8/07
Ok, so I don't have the money yet but been prowling the bay. This particular example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NICE-OMEGA-SPEEDMAS ... dZViewItem

The bracelet looks fairly new, but the dial says "T Swiss Made T" and the markers look yellowed. Is it an old watch on a new bracelet? Has the tritium worn off? When did Omega stop using tritium in their watches?

Bearcat

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/10/06
hendrixelixir said:
Ok, so I don't have the money yet but been prowling the bay. This particular example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NICE-OMEGA-SPEEDMAS ... dZViewItem

The bracelet looks fairly new, but the dial says "T Swiss Made T" and the markers look yellowed. Is it an old watch on a new bracelet? Has the tritium worn off? When did Omega stop using tritium in their watches?

Don't buy off the Bay...Way too many scammers and defective watches. You are just throwing your money away there. Also you could get a rep at a gen price :(

Buy from the posters at Timezone.com or some other afficianados site. Post a WTB ad there and you will have your choice of 2or 3 at fair prices. And the condition will be guaranteed by most sellers.

Best of luck!

--Doc

crick

1/8/06
i agree with bearcat.

i've had an issue or two after ebay sales with a watch that had something going on with it. If you get a watch and something is funky, a repair service for it will cost like 300 or more ... raising the cost of a 1200 used to ~ 1500 or more.

I always hear of timezone being reliable tho.

MOST reliable is brand new from an AD :)

mUHHAHAHAHA

take a trip to SF and scope out some of hte jewelry stores out here.

hendrixelixir

11/8/07
I guess the consensus is that eBay is not to be trusted... any info on that "T Swiss Made T" on that speedy? Vintage on a new bracelet?

crick

1/8/06
definitely looks vintage, specially with the tritium.

:)

it's not to say he's selling u a fake, but could easily be b usted or something wrong with it. A bit riskier.

time to start saving!

georgegrasser

18/7/07
During an interview for a sales position at a jewelry store
I was told that profit was 50% of retail on watches.
So I'm sure they can do better than 15 to 20% off and still make money.

crick

1/8/06
that would make sense why some places just easily goto 30 %. other's just wont budge past 15. :( stupid tourneau.