• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Change bezel insert on planet ocean

TheCold

15/8/09
Searched around the forum and couldn't really figure this out. I saw pictures that sometimes the pearl is glued to the bezel and not the insert on the planet ocean. If this is the case and I buy a new aftermarket bezel on ebay with the pearl centered will I not be able to fit this onto the bezel hence the pearl is already glued to it, with an angle that fits the insert with the off-centered pearl position. So my question is if I find out that my pearl is glued to the bezel, is it possible to rip it off and then just glue the new aftermarket bezel insert which has the pearl glued to the insert itself, onto the bezel?

Hope that this text didn't get too confusing! :S

Cold

neeko_23

Horology Curious
23/8/09
Hello,

Isn't it easier to change the whole bezel ?
Anyone knows how to do that ?
thanks.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Hi Cold,
The answer is, yes you can. I did it on my franken. The UPO (45mm) has a pearl glued to the bezel, so as to add a new after market insert you have to remove it as you are saying...

Neeko, as far as i know the gen bezel at the UPO isnt a straight match, but with a mod it can fit as well. Uwe (fine dd) has done such a mod to Inushuks' franken UPO... You can check that project here http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/my-upo-franken-70348

TheCold

15/8/09
okay so basically I can just take some tool and rip the pearl from the bezel and than just glue the insert on? Do I have to remove the whole bezel to remove the insert or changing the bezel insert can be done with the bezel attached to the case?

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
You will need a more expert to answer this one, but i believe this cant be done without removing the bezel. The popular and easy way is to use a hair dryer. But you have to remove the movement before, you dont want to cause any damage on that one. After you heat that one enough it will be easy to remove the insert and then scrap out the pearl... Thats the way i think its done, but wait until Q5? or R2D4 appear, they are the men regarding POs...

Inushuk

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/10/10
Paparas is right this is the way to do it.
First remove the Bezel (using a special knife) easy to pop off.
Be careful do not lose or break the spring that hold the bezel
Then heat the insert remove it and glue the new one on bezel and pop it back on the case.
This is how I did it myself on my brother's franken

My insert with an "ok" pearl came from the Bay to this seller : wholesaleoutlet990 Price is approx 22 Euros

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEZEL-INSER...280?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483f9c1a58

BUT ask for a good insert ... take my picture and ask for a "centered" pearl as the images you will find on his boutique shows wrong insert ...

Breitest24

18/2/10
I just changed out my bezel insert. Took a hobby knife to get the bezel off and just plucked out the pearl since the bezel I bought had a new one in it. I used GS hypo cement and done. I also had to grind down the backside of the new bezel insert. took about an hour since Im a newb.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I just changed out my bezel insert. Took a hobby knife to get the bezel off and just plucked out the pearl since the bezel I bought had a new one in it. I used GS hypo cement and done. I also had to grind down the backside of the new bezel insert. took about an hour since Im a newb.

Pictures please. :)

TheCold

15/8/09
Inshuk, should I show him the image of your GEN insert before I pay him? Or after I paid him I send him a pic of the bezel insert?

Is the hypo cement similar to hobby glue or it's more of a strong adhesive that's non colored?

TheCold

15/8/09
Okay, another update

Ordered the bezel insert from the dealer you all recommended and sent him, not one, but two! messages and images of the centered pearl so hopefully he will send me a nice insert with a centered pearl!

And is the delivery from this seller usually fast or slow?

And as always thanks for the very fast and helpful replies!

Breitest24

18/2/10
This is the ebay bezel insert. Very good IMO. However I just purchased a gen orange bezel from a member on RG at a pretty decent price. I was going to do a black franken but my SOH is black and they both would look alike.

Q5 actually this is your old UPO lite. I bought it off believer for $50 bucks it had a bad scratch at 10 o'clock. The damn movement stops but I already have a ETA incoming.

b8d57dbd-45ab-866a.jpg

Sent from my EVO

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
This is the ebay bezel insert. Very good IMO. However I just purchased a gen orange bezel from a member on RG at a pretty decent price. I was going to do a black franken but my SOH is black and they both would look alike.

Q5 actually this is your old UPO lite. I bought it off believer for $50 bucks it had a bad scratch at 10 o'clock. The damn movement stops but I already have a ETA incoming.

b8d57dbd-45ab-866a.jpg

Sent from my EVO

An ETA UPO or ETA movement?

TheCold

15/8/09
Breitest you didnt get a centered pearl om your insert? Contacted the ebay seller and showed him some pics of centered pearls and Said I wanted one. He responded with that the one he sent me is similar and now I'm waiting for it hopefully ill get a nice insert.

And for those who removed their bezel with a knife, do you put the knife in the groove underneath the bezel or the groove ontop between the crystal?

correctime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/5/11
Breitest you didnt get a centered pearl om your insert? Contacted the ebay seller and showed him some pics of centered pearls and Said I wanted one. He responded with that the one he sent me is similar and now I'm waiting for it hopefully ill get a nice insert.

And for those who removed their bezel with a knife, do you put the knife in the groove underneath the bezel or the groove ontop between the crystal?
If your talking removing the bezel you need to put the blade under the bezel where it meets the case and pry it up. As for removing the bezel "insert", I've read to heat it up with a blow dryer (to soften the glue) and push it out from the bottom...only AFTER you've removed the bezel from the case.

Breitest24

18/2/10
^^ what he said.

TheCold I cant quite understand what you just said.

Breitest you didnt get a centered pearl om your insert? Contacted the ebay seller and showed him some pics of centered pearls and Said I wanted one.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
If you have not removed an insert before .......... why try for the first time on a watch you like? :oops:

If you plan on replacing an ETA movement with a DG2813 you will need a new dial and hand set to fit on the ETA.

TheCold

15/8/09
Q5? I want to try it out myself doesn't seem too hard and if by any reason bezel breaks, I have to invest in a gen one :p

Breitest, sorry for the confusing message, the iPhone's text corrector is annoying as hell!

What I meant was that the insert you have doesn't have the pearl centered, did you buy the insert from wholesaleoutlet990 on ebay? And do you have a 42mm or 45mm PO

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
I replaced the bezel insert on a UPO without removing the bezel. Hair dryer to heat it a bit, knife and tweezers to remove it (already damaged so didn't care about the old insert), let it cool then installed the new one with a few droplets of Gorilla glue. First "mod" I ever did. Took 15 minutes. Still perfect after 2 years.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheCold

15/8/09
levelmanroger sounds like a plan! having my insert sent to me in a week or so, hopefully I can do the same mod as you hence the insert is already scratched and ugly I wouldn't care if it broke or whatever