• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Carrera 41mm 1887 chrono review - CAR2111

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
Can't find a review on this version of this watch so here we are. There's a review of the older version here https://forum.replica-watch.info/vb...G-Heuer-Carrera-Calibre-1887-Chronograph-41mm but a lot of things have changed for the better since then.

Overall this thing looks amazing. I've looked at the gen and this compares extremely well. It's a beautiful looking watch, with superb build quality and it's finished really nicely. Definitely a favourite of mine. Really great presence on the wrist

The dial looks absolutely gorgeous. The sunburst effect is spot on and so close to gen. Subdials are also very well finished although the first big tell here if you know what you're looking at is the spacing of the 9 o clock one. Not something that bothers me too much - I doubt anyone is going to call it out on that.

Printing is perfect and the detailing on the logo is beautiful. As others have pointed out - the TAG logo isn't quite straight on any of these it seems. This is true but very very hard to spot even when you're looking for it. Date font and window looks perfect.

The tachy ring is much improved over the older version too with much more accurate font size.

The case, crown and chrono pushers are all just about perfect, really nice job on those. The pushers aren't quite as well polished as the gens but that's really nit picking and it's hardly a tell (and fixable)

The rep is apparently just over 1mm thicker than the gen, the rep being a rather portly 17mm to accommodate the 7750 and the gen being 15.75. This is noticeable when compared to the gen directly but again you'd probably be unlucky for anyone to call you out there unless doing a direct comparison. Might be one to avoid for those with thin wrists as the thickness gives it huge presence even though it's only 41mm in diameter.

Excellent crystal with great colourless AR really showing off that beautiful dial. Best stock AR I've seen on a rep actually.

Round the back we have that lovely looking decorated 7750 which is actually really nicely done and fairly close to the gen. It's impressively finished and I don't think there are many people at all who could call this out without a direct comparison. It even has that little deco wheel turning with the rotor like the 1887 movement which is a nice touch. As a bonus I'm not 100% sure but I think it stops the rotor spinning so freely in the non winding direction too!

Engravings on the case back are great, very gen like (although it's incorrectly marked CAR2114)

The strap is typical rep crap. It doesn't look horrible on the wrist (I've actually had a couple of compliments on it) but up close, looks and feels like nasty plastic. It's stiff and uncomfortable and I've got a croc one on order in black (brown is the wrong colour anyways - I'm ordering a dark red Vietnamese one too for a change of style)

The deployant is OK and does the job and if I wasn't so fussy about clasps I'd probably be fine with it. The engravings are nice and deep and it's certainly secure. Unfortunately it's got that cheap stainless look to it up close, is a bit too big and thick and has some really nasty sharp edges which are digging into my wrist at the moment. In addition it's also really hard and fiddly to snap it shut. It just doesn't look or feel like a quality item the same way as the watch head does.

I've gone a bit extravagant (for me) and ordered a gen deployant to go with the new strap and that should really give it an awesome gen like feel

Overall this is such a stunning rep despite its flaws. It's absolutely beautiful and really well made with the exception of the standard issue rep strap and slightly disappointing deployment. Hope these pictures are OK, photography has never been my forte as you can see!

Thanks to Watch Station for getting this gorgeous watch to me - not so many thanks to EMS for the agonising nearly 3 week delay!
QXFcNIq.jpg

kGVoRI9.jpg

xz2UINT.jpg

1Jnvr55.jpg

HxLWnIg.jpg

Opnt5s4.jpg

As a bit of an update on the deployant I have smoothed the sharp edges a little with a file and oiled it and it now closes a lot easier and is a lot more comfortable. Still looking forward to the gen, I still think it will be a worthwhile upgrade

Eschenpod

Renowned Member
21/11/12
Great review and a lovely watch britain.
You've already seen mine on custom black Vietnamese croc.
The dark red suggestion piqued my interest so I used my limited Photoshop skills to get an idea of how it might look.
Shade might be a bit different that what you're ordering .

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
Great review and a lovely watch britain.
You've already seen mine on custom black Vietnamese croc.
The dark red suggestion piqued my interest so I used my limited Photoshop skills to get an idea of how it might look.
Shade might be a bit different that what you're ordering .

Thank you my friend.

Yes I have and it looks stunning! I've ordered a black leather strap which looks nice but isn't real croc so I might be regretting that.

The 'shop looks great there, I'm definitely tempted now - it was the red brown one in the link you sent me that gave me the idea and I'll definitely be making an order for one of those (along with a real croc black one probably)

Rotador

I'm Pretty Popular
28/9/14
It's a beautiful watch.

Thank you for sharing your review and pictures, Britain4.

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
It's a beautiful watch.

Thank you for sharing your review and pictures, Britain4.

Thanks very much. It is a lovely watch for sure. Can't really do it any justice in pictures as you can't capture the way it catches the light in person

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
I've ordered a Vietnamese croc strap for this and I can't wait for it. Decided against the one I was going to order as it wasn't real croc but did look very gen like (this doesn't haha)

I realise it's not going to be to everyone's taste but I think it'll look great.

I0zuoKa.jpg

I'm after one in black, one in dark red as I really like the look of that photoshop and one in a sort of orangey tan brown colour to match some favourite shoes of mine haha. I've ordered just the black for now but will get the other 2 next pay day.

erimin5

Looking Around
25/7/15
Hello everyone. Very interested to get this piece too. May i know where did you gentlemen get the customised strap from?

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
@erimin5

Mine was from eBay seller anhtuantom. It's one of his 'off the shelf' ones but he does custom work too at very reasonable prices

There is also Vydzua and previously vnhandcraftart but I don't think he is currently active

I have also been recommended http://forums.watchuseek.com/f319/h...6.html#/forumsite/20758/topics/1822266?page=1 by Eschenpod and I want to try a couple of different coloured ones from there at some point - I believe that is where the strap in his picture came from.

You may find this thread helpful https://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/236662-Vietnamese-Strap-Makers-on-Ebay

erimin5

Looking Around
25/7/15
Many thanks. The links are certainly very helpful.

@erimin5

Mine was from eBay seller anhtuantom. It's one of his 'off the shelf' ones but he does custom work too at very reasonable prices

There is also Vydzua and previously vnhandcraftart but I don't think he is currently active

I have also been recommended http://forums.watchuseek.com/f319/h...6.html#/forumsite/20758/topics/1822266?page=1 by Eschenpod and I want to try a couple of different coloured ones from there at some point - I believe that is where the strap in his picture came from.

You may find this thread helpful https://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/236662-Vietnamese-Strap-Makers-on-Ebay

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
Small update, still running great, AR is holding up well too.

Decided against the gen clasp - I took the latch part to pieces, washed all the parts (there was a LOT of dirt and grit in there) and sprayed a tiny bit of WD40 and now it opens and closes like butter. Surprised to see a normal spring bar between the two buttons as the 'spring'.

Smoothed off the sharp clasp edges and given it a polish and it feels much nicer too.

Also ordered this https://www.watchgecko.com/tag-heuer-carrera-41mm-professional-replacement.php which is quite cheap, looks very close to gen and is reportedly excellent quality.

thampz

Horology Curious
27/6/16
Very nice. Still waiting for mine to pop up in the post office

1Basileus

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/2/17
Gorgeous watch, congratulations. I can't seem to find this exact model for some reason..