• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Canvas strap care

Autorotate

Seeking: PAM 064, 087, 187
8/11/23
Cleveland, Ohio
Evening everyone,
I wanted to post this in the Panerai section, as I’ve noticed many of you prefer your PAMs on canvas. (Second to leather, of course!)
How do you clean a dirty canvas strap? I am less concerned about dirt and patina as I am… uh, funk.
My NATO straps would get a certain smell to them, especially in the summertime. But a NATO is easy. Soapy water soak and a toothbrush scrub usually freshens them up quite well.
Same for canvas?
Wondering if you pros happen to have any enlightening tips.
TIA.

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
Soak in a 70/30 mix of hot water / white vinegar to de-funk. Follow that up with a light scrub following the grain of the canvas using a soft tooth brush and warm water / light soap (laundry liquid) solution.

Rinse and then press out as much moisture as possible with paper towel / microfiber cloth etc. Then leave to dry in the sun (summer) or over a heat vent.

papabear244

Renowned Member
17/11/20
I once tried using Tuff Stuff foam cleaner. Can’t say it didn’t get the job done.

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
I used to use white vinegar for my running clothes, because they'd develop a "funk" that soap and water wouldn't always remove. I also got some free samples of a detergent for workout clothes at a marathon expo that worked very well. I didn't think it was worth the extra cost for my regular running clothes, since I go through the stuff pretty rapidly, but a small bottle would probably last a lifetime on watch bands.

This is a somewhat related article with some information that should apply to watch straps in general terms:

Autorotate

8/11/23
Cleveland, Ohio
Thanks for the amazing inputs!! Vinegar soak and that performance wash I think will be the way to go.

@AndreaVostok
It’s a picture from a book I own. I really enjoy the history, especially the innovation(combat diving) and the technology (waterproof watches/lume) that sprung from the conflict. And the D MAS had a totally epic insignia.
I’m actually torn… I don’t want anyone thinking I’m down with what the Axis power stood/fought for. Therefore, my silly avatar is NOT an endorsement of that.
But it’s a cool design, and if someone takes offense, I’d probably bring it down. Might just do it anyways.

dpd3672

Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Thanks for the amazing inputs!! Vinegar soak and that performance wash I think will be the way to go.

@AndreaVostok
It’s a picture from a book I own. I really enjoy the history, especially the innovation(combat diving) and the technology (waterproof watches/lume) that sprung from the conflict. And the D MAS had a totally epic insignia.
I’m actually torn… I don’t want anyone thinking I’m down with what the Axis power stood/fought for. Therefore, my silly avatar is NOT an endorsement of that.
But it’s a cool design, and if someone takes offense, I’d probably bring it down. Might just do it anyways.
We walked on the moon because of Werner von Braun, and we'll likely visit Mars as a result of that...history is full of imperfect things. Just because an object or idea was associated with something negative doesn't necessarily negate it's historical value.

Of course, in certain circles, I'd probably be cancelled for saying that, lol, but I'm a firm believer that good can come from bad.

Autorotate

8/11/23
Cleveland, Ohio
We walked on the moon because of Werner von Braun, and we'll likely visit Mars as a result of that...history is full of imperfect things. Just because an object or idea was associated with something negative doesn't necessarily negate it's historical value.

Of course, in certain circles, I'd probably be cancelled for saying that, lol, but I'm a firm believer that good can come from bad.
@dpd3672 preach brother. Not sure this will even be a thing with watch nerds. You never know. But as popular as Panerai is on this forum, and how they have never really hid from their history, I don’t think my avatar is even a thing.

Reactions: dpd3672

dpd3672

Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
@dpd3672 preach brother. Not sure this will even be a thing with watch nerds. You never know. But as popular as Panerai is on this forum, and how they have never really hid from their history, I don’t think my avatar is even a thing.
Ask a gun collector if he'd rather have a K98 and a Krieghoff Luger or a British Enfield and a Webley. The good guys don't always have the best toys, lol.

I'm torn on the Jeep MB vs Volkswagen Type 82, though...both have some serious cool historical cred.