• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Can't get the caseback back onto my 45mm PO - whats going on

Tommy Tom

Renowned Member
28/11/06
I've just got my PO dial back from ziggy and put my watch together. The hands were a nightmare to put back on and it took the best part of 2 hours to get them to sit properly.

However, once I had put the dial and mechanism into the case and put the crown and stem back in I found an off problem. With the magnetic protector in place, I cannot get the caseback on. It seems that the protector sticks out higher than before meaning I can't screw the caseback on.

I have had a close look and everything seems to be where it shoud - the protector definitely cannot sit any lower into the case. I just don't understand why it's happening.

Has anyone else had this problem? It's really puzzling me.

pineypl

25/6/07
Are you sure the dial and movement combo are fully seated into the case? Did you put in the retaining bars?

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure the antimagnetic disc is properly seated? It can sit just a touch wrong and block everything.

Finally, is the dial fully seated down to the movement?

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Tom,

Good to talk to you! I think this is more than one problem that includes two or more resolutions.

1. Make sure the dial is sitting flush with the movement holder and the dial fasteners are firmly attatched.
2. Make sure your case has no burrs preventing the movement holder and movement from sitting flush.
3. Make sure your magnetic cover is inserted properly with on obstructions.

Worst case scenario is to leave the anit magnetic cover off. Many watches don't have this anyway.

Hope that helps.

R2

Tommy Tom

Renowned Member
28/11/06
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to take it apart again tonight and put it back together. It was reinstalled at about midnight so maybe these problems are from me not concentrating properly

pineypl

25/6/07
Tommy Tom said:
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to take it apart again tonight and put it back together. It was reinstalled at about midnight so maybe these problems are from me not concentrating properly

If it were me that late working on a watch it would be nothing more than the [smilie=occasion14.gif] beer that was in my head! :D

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
pineypl said:
Tommy Tom said:

If it were me that late working on a watch it would be nothing more than the [smilie=occasion14.gif] beer that was in my head! :D

X2 Ditto, or I would have smashed the hands or lose a screw.

Tommy Tom

Renowned Member
28/11/06
Well I didn't lose anything and had only had a couple but I did get myself unbelievably angry that it wouldn't work.

Imagine receiving 5 relumed dials from Ziggy and how deperate you would be to get them back into your watches.....then imagine that you snap the hands on your Bell and Ross trying to get them on, followed by of hours of trying not to make the hands on your PO touch, tarnishing your PO hands so they look ***** close up (even though I used Rodico to put them on)

It all really boils down to this. However much I enjoy taking things apart, I need to realise that I have neither the patience or personality to successfully put them back together again properly. Had I given Ziggy all the watches whole I would be very happy now ($200 worse off but what price happiness?). Thinking I could do it myself, and that it would actually be fun....well I see now that its not like that.

No matter how many times I say to myself "leave them to the experts, enjoy wearing them and don't get the tools out because you know what will happen" I just can't help myself.

There is a lesson here. Some people are just not born with the patience to do tiny detailed fiddly little jobs using a Loupe.

I am one of them.

pineypl

25/6/07
Well that is sad to hear Tommy Tom. :cry:

I hope you get things squared away soon and can get back to enjoying wearing your watches.