• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Can Anyone help me verify if these SMP dials are Gen...

michaelbro1

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/5/07
Any help would be greatly appreciated with this. I have been told both of these SMP dials are gen. I will say this- the wave pattern is deep cut, the lume is pretty good, and some of the markings on the back of the one may refer to movement and case numbers. What gets me is, I thought all gen SMP dials have painted and lumed markers and text, not applied markers and logo like these. Did the older SMP dials have applied markers and logo like many of their watches, and possibly the newer ones are now printed and lumed? I'm sure some Omega guru from our forum would know these particulars.

Thanks everyone!

di1.jpg

di2.jpg

di3.jpg

di4.jpg

di5.jpg

di6.jpg

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
I suspect these are (Changed my position after some research) Genuine. Do a search for 2230.50.00 Non-America's cup.

This is really close.

michaelbro1

17/5/07
they are bright

very bright, and the lume lasts fairly long. The quality seems real good for a fake, not to mention why would anyone mark the backs of fake dials with the correct omega markings "zj" and also case numbers. I see a few gen dials on the bay which have the "zj" mark and the same style case numbering.

I can't figure out if seamasters ever had applied markers. The font in the word omega and how the applied omega letters connect to each other is exactly like older omega dials with these applied logos. I'm stumped, maybe someone else will chime in with the answers.

rei

18/12/06
they look gen to me....the back of the rep dials look nothing like that.

-rei

michaelbro1

17/5/07
The story is...

The guy I got them from gets all his gen dials from Switzerland, through a few buddies that work in the industry. He claims these are the dials which are messed up by Omega or not perfect (and can't be used-so they are thrown away). Or customers dials who want the dials reconditioned, and Omega replaces them with new dials.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Bump see my post above. I might consider buying one if your selling. I think I would make a cool project watch.

rei

18/12/06
Alot of these imperfect dials show up on ebay. Normally, very little damage is done to them and their lume is exactly as gen.

-rei

jon200pa

25/3/07
I'd like to find a Gen dial for a Blue rolex 16613. Anybody ever see one?

michaelbro1

17/5/07
I'd sell one...

I'd sell one, and can probably get quite a few more for whoever may want one-I'll look into it. Thing is, they have flaws. Usually a smudge in the wave pattern or some discoloration which can be cleaned. I would say it looks good at any normal distance and especially under glass. But, under close examination (and with loupe) they are not perfect. I'll take some closer pics.

PS...jon200pa...I can look into finding that roly dial.
Michaelbro

jon200pa

25/3/07
Re: I'd sell one...

michaelbro1 said:
I'd sell one, and can probably get quite a few more for whoever may want one-I'll look into it. Thing is, they have flaws. Usually a smudge in the wave pattern or some discoloration which can be cleaned. I would say it looks good at any normal distance and especially under glass. But, under close examination (and with loupe) they are not perfect. I'll take some closer pics.

PS...jon200pa...I can look into finding that roly dial.
Michaelbro
Thanks, just PM me if you find one.

michaelbro1

17/5/07
thanks everyone...

for the input. R2D4 is correct, and thanks. The 2230.50(non america's cup) does in fact have applied markers and logo. This is certainly one of those, or at least from that line. I will sell one, and will pm closeups of the dial. As I stated before they are decent and look good in a case,but have many marks on them which should be noted.
Michaelbro1