• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Can A2824 movement be silenced?

Abstract0ne

Getting To Know The Place
10/4/19
UK
Hi Guys,
I wanted to know if a rotor and or ticking can be silence on a DJ36?

thanks

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Rotor to an extent can be silenced buy oiling or swapping in an ETA rotor. The "ticking" is the balance and gears running. Not much can be done with that. a movement service may reduce this, a swap to ETA 2824 also may improve it since the tolerances are tighter, but even genuine movements make sound.

Abstract0ne

10/4/19
UK
I guess I'm more interested in the rotor noise, if this is possible then i will research and find a replacement. How much could ETA rotors cost generally if you know?

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
it's not just the rotor, it's the bearing too.
A very slight oiling and a quarter turn more on the screw might help.

the asian clones have poorer tolerances than the gen ETA

Reactions: Abstract0ne

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
5/6/23
🇩🇪
I guess I'm more interested in the rotor noise, if this is possible then i will research and find a replacement. How much could ETA rotors cost generally if you know?
It doesn't matter if your replacement rotor is still ETA, it is more or less the same. I suggest you find a watchmaker to "silent" the rotor for you, they know what to do to make it quieter.

mclarendude

Legendary Member
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
If it is the rotor, the bearings take some Moebius 9010.

If it's the automatic works, they would need to be cleaned and lubed with Lubeta.

Abstract0ne

10/4/19
UK
I've just had the watch hands realigned and it came back with a noise it didn't have before or at least the noise was there but its a bit more louder now.

snaes

➡️ WTB any TC sub/ym in EU ⬅️
Supporter
Certified
4/4/22
EU
I've just had the watch hands realigned and it came back with a noise it didn't have before or at least the noise was there but its a bit more louder now.
I doubt it, but maybe the rotor isn't properly screwed down?

But as others suggested, oiling your rotor bearings should silent it. But you need to be very careful doing it, if you overdo the oiling, you'll ruin the movement.

Maybe also check if the rotor is spinning freely or, better put, if the rotor noise is coming from bearings or if it's scratching something.

Reactions: MiGra66