• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Calling all Speedmaster gurus...

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
OK, I searched but couldn't really find any answers to this question.

Who's got the best Speedmaster hand wind out there? Are they all the same?

Am I correct in the fact that the "Lemania" movement in those watches is actually the Seagull chrono movement? That doesn't bother me, because I like that movement and I understand it's pretty rock solid.

TIA, guys (and girls?).

Vric

Renowned Member
17/6/06
Lemania = Venus 175 = Seagull ST-19. It's all the same in rep world.

From what I have read, it's a very nice movement which is ok oiled as delivered, but Ziggy didn't liked it that much. Also there is simply no part available if something goes wrong. So if it brake, you put it in garbage. Try a search on google. There is many watchsmith that try to find parts for Genuine watch with this movement. Look like an impossible task. That said, if you take care of it (read servicing after a little while) it should last a life time. (unless you drop it on the floor :lol: )

As for all the same or not, it depend of which model you talk about. The MoonWatch or the Broad Arrow ?

The Moonwatch have 2 different size and for the broad arrow (white dial with blue hand) there is currently 3 version of it.

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
Nope, I saw that thread.

I didn't see where/who you bought it from (perhaps I just missed it) and I didn't see any discussion of whether or not that was the "best" model/version available.

Nice pics, though! Oh, I'm leaning more towards the moon watch than the broad arrow model, BTW.

Thanks for the posts, at any rate.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
peepshow said:
Nope, I saw that thread.

I didn't see where/who you bought it from (perhaps I just missed it) and I didn't see any discussion of whether or not that was the "best" model/version available.

Nice pics, though! Oh, I'm leaning more towards the moon watch than the broad arrow model, BTW.

Thanks for the posts, at any rate.

You're welcome.

It's the older rep model which is kinda hard to source these days. It's originally from Silixprime.

Best model? Well that's always a matter of opinion, isn't it? It's a half-hybrid watch and actually a replica of the old "Broad Arrow" no-date Speedmaster...but from these I personally like this old version more. It has nice bulged crystal and better quality dial.

You can't go wrong with the Moon Watch, either. Good luck.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
peepshow said:
OK, I searched but couldn't really find any answers to this question.

Am I correct in the fact that the "Lemania" movement in those watches is actually the Seagull chrono movement? That doesn't bother me, because I like that movement and I understand it's pretty rock solid.

TIA, guys (and girls?).

i am in the same boat. i like the white with blue speedmaster broad arrow but i couldn't find anything that convinced me what was the best, most accurate version and where to get it or what would be the best movement since there is a choice. finally i blew it off and forgot about it. i would still like to have one but i don't confident enough about my knowlage of the watches to feel like i will end up with the best all around version of it. it's too much money to always feel like i made the wrong choice.

manydivers

Known Member
16/8/06
peepshow said:

TIA, guys (and girls?).

Hi,

Seems to me (as I have a black Broadarrow Speedy) that they are all
so inaccurate / fantasy watches discussing which is best is hard due to
the priorities you have.

Like why has my manual got "Automatic"on the dial and a display back ?

Or the faux 6 o'clock chrono, many would prefer it to to be simply set at 12.

As far as I know all the manuals use the Seagull movement, there is a
special version of it with the faux 6 o'clock chrono dial drive especially
for the Speedy clone market, which is also used for reps with two subdials.

Seems to me the "best" should not have Automatic on the dial,
which takes out most of the contenders, leaving the moonwatch
types on their own of which I prefer the one with numbers, but
then again these models never were manuals they were autos.

Impossible to say I'd say ........

/mds.

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
The black dial Speedy Pro "moon watch" is a manual chrono.

That's the model I'm most interested in. Just looking for the most accurate dial. I'll probably freeze the sub at 6, as I don't really use the chrono functions on my chronos, I just like the subdials. :wink:

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
the auto on the dial with a manual movement doesn't bother me. the overall look on the wrist is what i am after. the back of the watch wouldn't matter that much for me either. what i am after is the most reliable movement with the most accurate look on the wrist, while you are wearing it. i understand that if you took it off and handed it to some one that is knowlagable about omegas it would be relitively easy for them to call it out. i just want the most reliable movement with the most convincing look while you are wearing it.

i just love the way the white with blue looks. i think it is a very impressive looking watch. i looked at a new moon phase white with blue broad arrow speedy the other day and it was offered to me new with full warrantee for 3,800.00 plus 9%tax and i almost bought it. i guess i should have. it was the only one they had at any of their stores. (sam's club) if i was going to buy a gen omega that would be the one for me.

Vric

Renowned Member
17/6/06
The White / blue one is awesome. I'm currently looking for it, but I have hard to find a "good one".

Silix and other dealer seam to have a "new" version of it with printed subdial (not embossed).. It's hard to explain, the the dial is completely flat. While the older version (The one By-Tor have and the one after with flat sapphire crystal) did had a correct dial.

Jay will try to find one next week, when the week long public holiday will be over.

I think if Jay can find one I will jump on it. It might be the last time I can find it (I already missed the PAM 172 and the Bret Chrono avenger in TI, I won't try my luck for this Omega)

Only problem is, I need extra link and if the watch is hard to find now, It will be quite hard to find..

manydivers

Known Member
16/8/06
peepshow said:
The black dial Speedy Pro "moon watch" is a manual chrono.
That's the model I'm most interested in.
Just looking for the most accurate dial.
I'll probably freeze the sub at 6, as I don't really use the
chrono functions on my chronos, I just like the subdials. :wink:

Hi,

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't all the manual "moonwatch"
reps built into smaller size cases than the cases used for the automatics ?

edit : seems I am ..... corrected comments below

I think for the smaller size (which was an auto) the numbered dial is more accurate :

W818-1.jpg

But for the larger case size, then the unnumbered dial is more accurate :

OMG0036_1.JPG

/mds.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
manydivers said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't all the manual "moonwatch"
reps built into smaller size cases than the cases used for the automatics ?

I think for the smaller size (which was an auto) the numbered dial is more accurate :

W818-1.jpg

But for the larger case size, then the unnumbered dial is more accurate :

OMG0036_1.JPG

/mds.

I wrote a review of the smaller version too. It's the "reduced" Speedy replica. Comes with dial numbers and without numbers. The review went virtually unnoticed here but it's available:
http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7100

Read Pugwash's review of the full sized version (link in my Omega guide).

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
Thanks to By-Tor and Pug for the fantastic reviews. I can live with the subdial spacing issue. I think freezing the hand at 6 is close enough for me.

Sam268

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/4/06
the dome crystal is nice excpet it gets scratch easily. not as durable as sapphire crystal