• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cal. 8500

dsmdave

Renowned Member
15/1/11

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Far as I know it would be a direct fit. Isn't the cal 8500 built on the ETA 28xx platform?

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
Sweet deal!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Pap mentioned it earlier. Interesting find.

Wont fit though, different ligne sizes. The 8500 is 29mm x 5.5. The etas are 25.6mm x 5mm-ish. Don't think the hands will even fit.

Great price though, won't see too many of those in the wild at that price.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
You can give it a try and let us know :lol:

For a moment there i though to get it, but its a lot of money if this go wrong at the end...

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
wait a second---

Pap mentioned it earlier. Interesting find.

Wont fit though, different ligne sizes. The 8500 is 29mm x 5.5. The etas are 25.6mm x 5mm-ish. Don't think the hands will even fit.

Great price though, won't see too many of those in the wild at that price.

can you translate this into layman's terms?
A noobie like me can't seem to understand why it wouldn't fit..LOL
conspiracy keanu says;
"WHAT IF
conspiracy-keanu.jpg

this guys selling the 8500 mov't could not get it to fit in the current CrPO"

or maybe this was the only one movement sold by Ofrei (the only one as per him and Omega would not allow him to order more as per my query)

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
:D: Jsizzie, you're not a noob :) , the 8500 cal movement is too big in diameter and also too tall for the current rep case. It doesn't match the specs of the eta 2836. It might fit with some serious modification to the case and or movement holder, but then the hands and dial? and crown tube/stem won't fit.

loosely translated as:

we-re-gonna-need-a-bigger-boat.jpg

....it could be the movement you mentioned earlier on ofrei jsizzie, it's a very good price.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Far as I know it would be a direct fit. Isn't the cal 8500 built on the ETA 28xx platform?

Yep, I was confusing it with the cal 2500 which was based on the ETA 2892 movement. That would be a fairly easy direct swap.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Yep, I wasn't sure of specs either until recently, then I found this service manual on cousinsuk:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/PDF/categories/3559_Omega 8500, 8501 - All2.pdf

some good info on there.

It's a great price for the movement though. Just difficult to know what it could be used for. Some of the prices on cousinsuk for parts for the 8500 are astronomical, £315 ex vat for the rotor, £372 ex vat for the balance alone without the bridges etc. Someone will get a deal with this movement.

2zixxdv.jpg

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
:D: Jsizzie, you're not a noob :) , the 8500 cal movement is too big in diameter and also too tall for the current rep case. It doesn't match the specs of the eta 2836. It might fit with some serious modification to the case and or movement holder, but then the hands and dial? and crown tube/stem won't fit.

loosely translated as:

we-re-gonna-need-a-bigger-boat.jpg

....it could be the movement you mentioned earlier on ofrei jsizzie, it's a very good price.

Am still a noob in comparo to you omeganz (sounded like a frat party)
so that meant the cases for the V1 CrPOs are built small?
maybe a v2 might allow a direct swap and more corrections on the flaws, and moreso more sightings from the wild of a 8500 mov't!

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
They said you can't put a gen Omega cal. 2500 in the V5 PO. I did!
They said you can't put a gen Omega cal. 8500 in the V1 CrPOs I will!
(bought it yesterday :D)

dsmdave

Renowned Member
15/1/11

Awesome, can't wait too see the complete build. Please take lots of pictures.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10

Great price, congrats. You'll have to get the big machines out for this one santre ;)

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
I found some info about the Omega cal. 8500 and it's the same size as ETA 2834-2. 13"' or 29.00 mm in diameter.

The height of 8500 is 5,50 mm vs. 6.20 on the ETA 2834-2. But that's because of the automatic bridge and rotor is thicker on the 2834-2 so the base movement is about the same in height.

That means if the next generation of CrPOs have a 2834-2 movement the swap will be quite painless. The dial,movement,stem alignment will probably work OK, the only difference will be that the rotor on the gen 8500 is 0,70 mm lower under the display case back.

On the other hand I will use the V1 CrPOs it have a 2824-2 which is 25,60 mm and have a height of 3,35 mm and that could result in some problems. But as the dial have to be fitted down in the case the movement will fit if it's not bigger than the dial. It's then a matter of how the movement ring is redesigned and milled to fit the gen cal 8500. The real problems is the alignment of the stem. To change from a thick to a thinner movement is not that difficult. I have done it on the V5 PO from 2824-2 to Cal 2500 and it worked just fine after having the movement ring milled properly.
But to change to a thicker movement as in this case may require to reposition the crown and tube closer to the case back. That is the only thing that really worries me on this project.

Also I know on my V2 Ploprof that also use the 2824-2 and 8500 in the gen there is a larger DW overlay on top of the movement so the DW position is same on the rep. I may think the CrPOs also is constructed this way. If any of you know please confirm as I don't received my rep yet. This could also cause some troubles.

And last for the hand fitting I will measure and hope the sec pin is about the same size and that both hour and minute pins is smaller or the same size as the 2824-2. If the minute and hour hands have larger holes on the rep i can make tiny tubes to fit in the hands and then on the gen movement. If it's the other way I need to use a cutting broach to make the holes in the hands bigger and that could damage the hands.. The gen hands and dial will be pretty much impossible to source I think...

Challenges is to be conquered :cheers:

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
ASAP!

Realllly???

WOW! you bought that one in the ebay or from ofrei or from cousinsuk?

Looking forward to your frankening thread mate same as Mr.Paps's

:cheers:

PS can you please do the titanium liquidmetal blue 45mm version??

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
PFA herewith a PDF for the 8500, I hope you guys have a copy of it..
Can't seem to remember where I have downloaded this file..

good luck with frankening everyone!

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
This will be one heck of a project!

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
PFA herewith a PDF for the 8500, I hope you guys have a copy of it..
Can't seem to remember where I have downloaded this file..

good luck with frankening everyone!

Yes have it I also have the complete scan of the service manual with part references and full specs of the movement.

I bought that on Ebay 950 usd including shipping as the seller lower the price when relisting it. But I have to pay another 300 usd in custom taxes and fees when it arrives to EU from US. Anyway unbelievable cheap!!!

Also it can't be bought at cousins or ofrei. This is the first one I see on Ebay ever outside a watch!!! I would state it's super super rare.

Cousins have spare parts for it though but the prices are ridiculous.
omga12.jpg

Rotor 315£, balance 372.70£, Pallet fork 141.35 £ + VAT total with shipping 1042.32 £ and that's about 1610 usd for just those 3 parts!!!
A complete barrel was 285 £ + VAT and you need two of them when they had them a year back or two... The bridges and mainplate is impossible to source and they for sure is really expensive too.

So the movement is more expensive to buy in pieces than a brand new Omega Aqua Terra...