• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

116610LV 3 ATM waterproof

mrtaylor88

Renowned Member
28/5/17
Hey guys and gals!

Just got my noob 116610LV back from BK ad it passed his 3 ATM water test everything lubed etc, that being said I am reading conflicting post as to whether or not I can swim with it in 3-8feet of water. That being said can I swim with it or not....

Thanks!

Ralphy

SalesMod CodeName Duchess
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/7/15
Nebraska
Just make sure you screw in your crown, :hehehe:

TitleistRolex

Renowned Member
8/12/15
CONUS
Hey guys and gals!

Just got my noob 116610LV back from BK ad it passed his 3 ATM water test everything lubed etc, that being said I am reading conflicting post as to whether or not I can swim with it in 3-8feet of water. That being said can I swim with it or not....

Thanks!

I received a TC sub lv from BK and it was waterproofed. I paid extra 40$ to make sure it was. I swim with it all the time. [emoji106]

Sent from the RWI mobile app

UDTMIKE

I'm Pretty Popular
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/5/17
I have a 1680 that was just modded by Rick914 and I swim with it in the pool, no problems.

eazye

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/13
Depends how you plan on swimming.

3ATM is like 100ft but it's not the same as a watch that's slamming in and out of the water at 2 to 3 feet. The pressure applied can get close to that depending on how you swim. But I'm sure hanging out in the pool with it will be fine...

The 3ATM rating on gen watches just means water resistant to daily shit like showers, rain, washing hands, etc.

JackJ1980

Mythical Poster
20/6/16
Usually 3ATM to me means ok if it gets splashed on. Don't swim or shower with it. Shower pressure, hand moving quickly through water, all those exceed the pressure of 3atm

MonsieurMax

I'm Pretty Popular
22/10/16
Earth
Your fine if you swim with it at the beach or in a pool, but I would still be skeptical diving with it, I wouldn't take that risk

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
I swim with my BKs and have never had a problem. With that said, I don't think I have ever gone deeper than 2 feet with them.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
I swim with my BKs and have never had a problem. With that said, I don't think I have ever gone deeper than 2 feet with them.

I had a bad experience when i tried to swim with mine ........ I cant swim......but the watch was fine

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
The reality is it may pass a higher pressure, but no guarantees. That being said, I swim with my BK a couple times weekly, both before and after I had a gen crystal and crown installed. Never had a problem.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
I had a bad experience when i tried to swim with mine ........ I cant swim......but the watch was fine
I, for one, am glad you survived Dave. RWI would be much less colorful without you.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11

Attachments

• there-is-more-5.jpg
    there-is-more-5.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 0
  • there-is-more-5.jpg
    there-is-more-5.jpg
  • there-is-more-5.jpg
    there-is-more-5.jpg
  • there-is-more-5.jpg
    there-is-more-5.jpg

eswilly

I'm Pretty Popular
2/11/14
Florida

I just spit out my coffee....[emoji477]?[emoji477]?[emoji477]?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
Just to be safe, pressure test 5bar and it will pass swimming is definetly OK.
A watchmaker normally can do this test.

When this test is OK, the sealings are OK and the watch is really water-proof.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
On the "added pressure" when swimming or moving your arms underwater (dynamic pressure)

TL,DR: Dynamic pressure is practically negligible. Use the normal stated WR as a benchmark and forget about adding extra because you move your arms veeery fast (unless you are Flash or Quicksilver).

(Warning, very long post, but also quite interesting) original source here: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/water-resistance-myth-vs-reality-159142.html#/topics/159142?page=1

What About Dynamic Pressure?

This perhaps is the biggest myth and urban legend of all. It was mostly created by the watch industry and then spread trough watch retailers and watch brochures and manuals then also trough word of mouth of course. It was not so widespread in the 80's but by the late 90's and early 2000 it had spread alot.

Why they spread that myth to begin with probably have to do with weakening the warranty terms and the fact that they want to encourage people to be carefull with their watches.But also primarly due to marketing reasons that enables them to charge a extra premium for higher rated watches.

Anyway the myth is about movement in water. Apparently as you move around in the water especially your arms an extra pressure gets applied to the watch and the deeper in the water you go the higher this extra presssure will get due to the movement. I have read statements that these movements can add several Bars/ATM/PSI of pressure to a watch. Therefor it is not safe to take your watch anywhere near its stated deepth rating. I have read statements that you should not go any deeper then maximum 30 meter(100') with a 100 m rated watch or 60-70 meter (200-230') with a 200 m rated watch. 30-50 m rated watches should not be submersed at all.

Whats the major problem here?

First let me state that I was a firm believer of this "Dynamic Pressure" myth up untill just a few months ago. This whole journey into this topic for me was the presentation of the Suunto Core on Suuntos website prior to its actual release. I thought it looked fantastic and almost imediatly feel in love with it especially in combination with its seemingly superior feature set compared to the competion. Prior to the Core I pretty muched ruled out Suunto out of the realm of my interest frame when it came to ABC watches, not because of their active functions which in fact many times where even better then for instance the PathFinders/ProTrek of the Casio line up, but because I saw them as fragile crap due to their poor 30 M water resistance rating(the Observer with 100 m rating was an exception but did not appeal to me for other reasons). But when the Core was presented on Suuntos website it seem to have it all including a 100 meter rating.

But when it was closer to the Core's release I suddenly noticed that the specs had changed on Suuntos website now it was suddenly rated to 30 M just like its predeccesor the Vector so I was very dissapointed and descided to mail Suunto to get it clarified. Apparently they did a misstake before and that 30 m was the correct fact. But by that time I had already worked up enough interest for the model so that I contemplated buying it anyway, all that I demanded from it was that I could do some surface swimming with it then I would be happy. So I mailed Suunto and asked again if i could use it when swimming. And the answer was yes!

This confused me because what I knew prior to this told me that 30 m and 50 m watches should not be used for submersive water activitys such as swimming, what confused me even further was the fact that the Core came equipped with specially designed stinger buttons called UW(Under water buttons by Suunto) also the demo on the website showed it was also equipped with a cool depth gauge down to 10 meters which further suggested this was a watch that could be used under water.

At first this lead me to believe that Suunto since it is a special company that has a very scientific image that pride themself with preciscion instruments for professionals was more honest with their rating and therefor took Dynamic pressure into account for their rating and gave their watches a more honest rating then the rest for the watch industry so therefor a 30 M Suunto was the equvivalent to a 100 Meter watch from other manufacturers.

But this turned out to be a wrong assumption, I later found out that they just test their watches according to the standard ISO 2281 just like the rest of them.

So because I was a believer of the dynamic pressure theory all I was left with was a big mystery, how come a 30 m rated watch was seemingly adapted for underwater use?
banging.gif

This mystery lead me to seek out the answer and learn more about water resistance and the effects of dynamic pressure specifically. I did found some important pieces to the puzzle here in this forum from older forum posts but also from Wikipedia and also some Swedish scientists that I had enquired about this mather.

What I did found out shattered the dynamic pressure theory to pieces. It simply was nothing more then a lie turned into an urban legend and myth.

Apparently pressure can only be applied to an object as the result of added mass/weight that is applied to the object(in this case added depth with an increased weight of the water pillar above you) in question, or as a result of expansion or due to electro magnetism, another possible source of pressure is some external forcing preventing expansion or inversion. Another source is gravitational pull due to accceleration or decceleration but that reason is somewhat tied in to reason number one the one about added mass.

So what kind of forces can a swimmer/diver apply to his/hers watch? first we have the depth ofcourse. If we use a watch similar in size to a Raysman. Lets say we are at 100 meter depth. The size of the watch is about 5cmX5cm thats 25cm2 in surface area. 1m is 100 cm so 100m is 10.000cm 10.000X25= 250.000 Cm2 of water above the watch that is pressuring against it. The weight of that water is 1000.000/250.000= 250Kg(550 ibs) of pressure against the watch at that deptht. This is known as the hydrostatic pressure.

The diver(staying at the same depth) can only change that pressure against his watch in 2 ways either by moving his arms up or down but the maximum reach of ones arms is very limited usually not more then perhaps 120cm(4') or so.... that is only a change in pressure of 0.12 bars or 3Kg(6.7ibs) of pressure, very little difference not much more then 1% compared to the rest of the pressure at that given depth.

Second way to increase pressure at the watch is trough speed/acceleration. Either by swimming or by moving our arms up and down. The maximum speed we can move our arms in free air is often not more then 3-6 feet per second and it moves even slower under water. And when it comes to Swim speed even an Olympic swimmer usually cant swim any faster then 6-7 feet per second. If we add the maximum output of that we get up to 10 feet or 3 meters of acceleration per second which is the equvivalant of about 10Km/h or 6.25 mph. That aint very much force/pressure in water. Someone smart here at the forum(CycloneFever) calculated this and I quote:

"Without repeating all the calculations here (they involve denominators and the greek alphabet and are PITA to type out), at a depth of 330ft(100 m) and moving your arm at 3 ft/sec, the dynamic pressure is in the order of magnitude of 0.14 feet of head or 0.04% of the depth. Even assuming you could move your arm at 20 ft/sec (14 mph!) the dynamic pressure is only about 6.2 feet of additional depth