• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Building The Ultimate Speedy, Possible?

agrigoras

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/8/10
Hi guys,

My first rep was the sapphire sandwich Speedmaster, and it's an awesome watch but not very accurate.
I'm mostly just bothered by how far apart the sub-dials are and the faux hour counter at 6:00.

My question(s) to the esteemed RWI community is:

Has anyone thought of putting in the 7750 movement from the Seamaster Chronos with the correct sub-dial spacing in a Speedy? I'm very curious if it would fit a gen dial...
I was also wondering how they got the spacing, since my 7750 Breitling Chrono Avenger is laid out similar to the ST-19.

Thanks for the read!

AG

ABC123

22/8/07
USA
Even if 7750 was used instead of the lemania, the spacing would still be too wide. You can see this in the Speedmaster Reduced gens which are on Omega branded but 7750 based movements. The dials are really far apart.

Speedmaster Pro is one watch that still hasn't been repped properly and yet it's from the 50s.

agrigoras

21/8/10
Even if 7750 was used instead of the lemania, the spacing would still be too wide. You can see this in the Speedmaster Reduced gens which are on Omega branded but 7750 based movements. The dials are really far apart.

Speedmaster Pro is one watch that still hasn't been repped properly and yet it's from the 50s.

This one looks like it might work, no?
om8580-omega-planet-ocean-455mm-black-dial-ss-lt-ult-ver-blk-org-asian-7750-28800bph.jpg

It looks better than the ghetto older model.
om6998-omega-planet-ocean-455mm-orange-bezel-rubber-asia-7750-28800bph.jpg

ABC123

22/8/07
USA
Yeah that first one does seem like it might work, but is it a 45mm? May be an illusion due to the bigger sub dial and overall bigger watch.

agrigoras

21/8/10
I'm thinking they modified the movement for the ultimate version, which is weird considering how unpopular the Seamaster chronos are compared to the moon watches.

They look pretty close compared to the older Seamaster. The curiosity is killing me lol. Someone needs to help me out with some measurements!

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
Correction to a statement made above: The Reduced is powered by an ETA movement with a DD chronograph module, not a 7750. However, you can find the 7750 in any number of "non-Reduced" Speedmaster Automatics e.g. the Speedy Date and Day-Date.

Two years ago, there was some buzz about the cartel working on a new Speedy rep, using similar methods as on the PO Chrono. Nothing was heard about it again, so I'm guessing they weren't able to get it to work. I think the difference in size between a PO Chrono and a Speedy may have had something to do with that failure.

The "Ultimate" Speedmaster franken might involve lathing a rep case so that a Lemania 1873 would fit. Then you'd use a gen dial, hands, crown, maybe a caseback. However, I think you'd be stuck using the rep crystal and bezel. Total cost might be awfully close to the price of a beat-up gen!

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
I will bump this one, cause i am really into it... You cant be an omega fan without one of these...

I have seen the amazing one kenny built with gen bezel and plexi, but when i plan a franken i always start with the dial, and the sub-dials are killing me...

Will a gen dial fit on a21j??? A gen plexi??? Or the case isnt suitable??? I havent seen something about it...

dmacnz

27/9/10
Also interested..
I modded mine with a domed plexi...but the biggest thing i don't like is the deepness of the renault.... Maybe 2012 can bring us a new one..

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
None have tried??? wow i am really tempted on giving it a try and see what i will get..! Somebody stop me!!!!!

idontknow

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
I have a gen plexi coming from a eBay seller in Germany, after that I will just need to acquire a solid case back to replace the display back on mine. Don't really intend to mess with mine much beyond that.