• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Building a Franken UPO - looking for suggestions

jhalsey205

Horology Curious
22/8/07
have a UPO from Trusty and intending to convert to a franken. I am incontact with one of the "mod experts" on this forum who has agreed to perform mods. I have acquired the following gen parts from Ofrei:
-crystal
-crystal gasket
-crown
-crown tube
-dial
-hands

I also acquired a aftermarket bezel insert off ebay (I would love to do a full bezel replacement - I know its been done, but not sure if becoming a mainstream mod)

Any other recommended mods?

Thanks

John

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
I think you have covered a very good ground there... Not very sure about crystal gasket as the genuine crystal will fit perfectly. You can save more about not buying genuine crystal and send it for aftermarket AR (looks very close). As for replacing full bezel, don't bother about it, the genuine won't fit. The insert you can swap.

Anyhow, do consider getting genuine rubber strap too. I think it looks much better on rubber strap. Subjective thou.

vejaman

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/11/06
You really have it nailed with the mods. You could save a little by sending your crystal to Chief for his double AR. I would highly recommend the bezel mod, I have it and have been very pleased. I have pretty much done everything you are looking at plus added a gen bracelet. My advice would be to stick with the rep bracelet as I can barely tell the difference between the rep and the gen even when they are side by side.

Good luck!

jhalsey205

Horology Curious
22/8/07
The dial was 222.00; the hour and minute hands $38.00, the second hand - $17.60

I ordered all parts from Otto Frei

jhalsey205

Horology Curious
22/8/07
It is Alive - my Franken UPO:
Wow - kudos to Rex who performed the modifications. My poor photography skills do not do it justice. (Visible) highlights include:
-Newly installed bezel insert with re-built pearl
-Gen Hands
-Gen Crystal
-Gen Face
-Gen Crown
-Gen Tube - laser welded

FrankenUPO-full;init:.jpg

jhalsey205

Horology Curious
22/8/07
sconehead said:
Looks good...how much did the parts cost you? :)

Materials sourced from Otto Frei:
Dial: $220
Crystal:$ 170
Crown: $36
Tube: $7
Hands: $38
Second hand:$ 18

Silverg

I'm Pretty Popular
8/11/08
Us
Nice project. I have big hands, so its prettyy impsosbile for me to effectively wrok on my watches. lucky you

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
I believe the OP had someone else do the work... (Rex from RepGeek, IIRC)

phil28

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/6/07
nice watch.

is it possible to have gotten the gen pearl? I guess it doesn't come with the insert. How was it rebuilt, can you post a lume shot.

Thanks.

Just curious because I've had a UPO for two years and this would be a nice project.

tetzumaru

24/10/08
im guessing half the price of a gen at a grey market seller. for me i think logo swap and thats it oh couple more things ar,crown and tube and have it water res. ???? that seems a lot.

still the end result looks great :D congrats

jhalsey205

Horology Curious
22/8/07
All in, I am up to a grand. UPO (with eta movement) from Trusty ~ $300; gen parts via Ofrei ~ $500; labor ~ $200... but the end result makes it worth it.

Btw - the Lum is amazing. Regarding the pearl, Rex actually rebuilds - very nice.