• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Building 4th gen PO

SpootyPuff

I'm Pretty Popular
19/6/10
Ok...so, I've just about finished my UPO project but after a couple months of it on my wrist, I felt wears better on a rubber strap because it's so big.

I really want to build a 42mm PO on ss but as we all know, noone makes it anymore and the rumors of some sort of 5th gen has vanished behind the ploprof craze.

What's to stop me from buying narikaa's or fakemaster's PO and then putting a 2824 on it, of course along with gen dial/hands, etc.

Fitment issues with the movement and the case originally with 21j ?

I'm thinking I just need the movement holder altered abit.....

experts, please school me!

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
I was reading that the 21j gives the same sweep as the gen. I assume that means that the gen is a modified ETA 2836-2 or 2824-2 not sure which one and they may have modded it down to 26,600bph in order to prolong the power reserve. This is just my assumption about that though. I thought they were all high beat in gen so I can easily be proven wrong.

Now, the watch itself. I've seen some very beautiful 42mm PO available recently but they all have the incorrect He placement and incorrect bezel. I'm not sure if they can take any gen parts. Someone should enlighten us on that but I haven't seen anyone attempt to mod one with incorrect He placement.

In order to put the He valve in the correct place on a current 42mm PO, one would have to laser weld the area that has been drilled and then redrill it probably in a milling machine for the correct placement and at that point you might as well scrap the rep He crown and tube and replace it with gen parts which shouldn't be very expensive.

It is a lot of work and I just wish they'd move on from that Ploprof as I'm never going to buy one it is a silly watch. But to each his own I guess. At least I had enough sense to finally back off from that G101 I was trying to buy. Not because of members on this board, but I tried on the gen and it just wasn't something I would wear.

On a final note back on topic about this watch, there have been variants of the 42mm made that have a bezel with the appearance of the gen, but crudely made. I used to have one that was shipped to me and I returned it. Beautiful watch, but the bezel was too big and kinda flopped around the crystal. There are more variants of any watches you can find on this board, believe me, but they more than likely are cheaper for the dealer to buy and in which case is why they sometimes get shipped out instead of the photo you see. Makes the dealer a little more cash that way I am guessing. I'm very sure that if you walk into the watch market in GZ, you can find a lot of different stuff that you never see on these boards. There are literally millions of watches there.

I did have one trusted dealer tell me that the 42mm is still in the works a while ago. I'll have to go back and pull up the email to see what time frame it was. If it was suppose to be out by the beginning of this month, sounds like it is a lot of smoke and mirrors to me. I already own one 42mm watch so it is easy for me to just sit back and watch and see what happens. I wish anyone that wants to buy one the best of luck. They do show up from time to time so don't worry. Patience is the key.

SpootyPuff

I'm Pretty Popular
19/6/10
Thanks for all the information, Amptor!

I was talking to ubi @ RWG and he said the case construction is different to where even if I did get the movement in somehow, the crystal and dial isn't going to work.

I guess the wait for the 5th gen is the safer/relatively cheaper way to go. So much for my dreams! :( *sniffles*