• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Another crown not screwing down.

924er

Known Member
28/12/16
So I had my 3717-06 from ZF for about a month. It was my 3rd time setting the time and all of the sudden the crown wouldn't screw down. I had a feeling that would happen based on it being a common issue plus screwing down the crown on a rep never feels good.

Anyways, I wanna fix the watch so I brought it to some local jeweled who is experienced with watches. He said 60-70$ IF he can find the replacement parts and even then it's 50/50. I offered to get him replacement parts myself possible from my TD but he refused and said he will try to find it himself. Can't expect much from a rep right? What you guys think? Was there any better options?
6531da1067b506bc9531005c183ace36.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

924er

Known Member
28/12/16
I got the part from td And fix myself!

How much they charge you?

I have never taken a watch apart before and don't even have the tools to do so

fabbe79

I'm Pretty Popular
18/10/15
The crown was approx 25usd plus shipping. Need some skill to remove the stem from the old one and put on the new one. No special tool needed, some tutorial on YouTube [emoji51]

mauricio612

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
4/12/15
It might break again after you have the replacement crown replaced because it is poorly made by ZF

My 3878 had the same issue and my watchmaker worked the tube of the flawed crown and reshaped the threads so I could screw down tight

Cost me 75 euros but it feels like a gen crown now

fabbe79

I'm Pretty Popular
18/10/15
Mauricio did the watchsmith worked the crown or the tube? Or both?

mauricio612

Supporter
Certified
4/12/15
Mauricio did the watchsmith worked the crown or the tube? Or both?
He modified the threads inside the crown tube that are supposed to screw into the case tube

Sorty I don't know how to explain this better in English

He did not touch the case tube
ebf37dbadae37add0925e2e41ea6d6ea.jpg

924er

Known Member
28/12/16
It might break again after you have the replacement crown replaced because it is poorly made by ZF

My 3878 had the same issue and my watchmaker worked the tube of the flawed crown and reshaped the threads so I could screw down tight

Cost me 75 euros but it feels like a gen crown now

Well he's not using ZF parts so hopefully he works on the tube and reshape the thread but no guarantee. I'll find out in a few weeks

xtremeag

9/9/16
I have the same issue with my 3878 cf3....i ordered a new crown + stem and i'll bring it to a watchmaker in cologne the next week to repair and service the watch.
i can let you know how much that costs

924er

Known Member
28/12/16
I have the same issue with my 3878 cf3....i ordered a new crown + stem and i'll bring it to a watchmaker in cologne the next week to repair and service the watch.

Thanks, so far I'm paying $70 for the repair. Not sure exactly what the watch smith will be doing but hopefully he will retain my crown and maybe fix the thread and or screw. If I get another replica crown and step, it's going the bust again. It never felt right screwing down the crown from day one.

924er

Known Member
28/12/16

Any luck?

I got my watch back but he couldn't repair it. He showed me the stripped crown thread and said it cost $200 just for a new crown. I'm guess a gen.

I got a second opinion and they said it needs a crown and a click spring but I think the lady didn't know what they were talking about.

The third opinion and he said the labor alone would be $150 because he has the bore out the inside due to it being too narrow.

Well.. guess I had my first replica watch fail.
Barely lasted a month. The watch still works perfectly but the crown doesn't screw down.. I guess I'll just try and sell it here as is and buy another one but definitely not from ZF!! Never again.

924er

Known Member
28/12/16
Just to update this thread.. after 4 watchmakers either refused to work on my rep or said it would cost a fortune to repair, I resorted to simply "pinching the tube" method.

I read about this here on the forums. Took the crown and stem off and noticed that the threading on the stem is stripped. I then applied some pressure using a plier and squeezed the tube. Now the crown is screwing I'm nicer than before. The only problem is that the crown is more sensitive when adjusting the hour hand, it can easily slip into changing the date. Not sure if that makes any sense.
730464763452c7ad9bb8545462da0bd4.jpg
e14c0fbd802aa4de3d3b58ee59292830.jpg
32c099bee2dcdf97a96ba4622b8f2f69.jpg

pancorjackhammer

I'm Pretty Popular
21/12/15
By tube Are you referring to where the crown and stem meets or the actual tube on the case? Which one did you pinch?

AntonioG

Known Member
23/1/16
I noted that some watchsmiths (specially those who offer "authorized service") like to refuse repair if you say its a rep. When i keep my mouth shut about this, i have no problem to have my watches repaired.
Probably because when we say "replica" they think you have a $10-20 disposable watch

924er

Known Member
28/12/16
I noted that some watchsmiths (specially those who offer "authorized service") like to refuse repair if you say its a rep. When i keep my mouth shut about this, i have no problem to have my watches repaired.
Probably because when we say "replica" they think you have a $10-20 disposable watch

I didn't have the say it's a rep, it's kinda obvious. I'm not gonna front like it's a genuine watch. I went to 3 other watch smiths and didn't mention it being a rep and they were either trying to say it's too expensive to repair or they cannot fix it.

924er

Known Member
28/12/16
By tube Are you referring to where the crown and stem meets or the actual tube on the case? Which one did you pinch?

I pinched the tube as in where the crown and stem attach to the case. Does that make sense?

pippo

10/1/10
I pinched the tube as in where the crown and stem attach to the case. Does that make sense?

Yes, you need to gently pinch the tube attached to the case.

Pickledbeetroot

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/12
What are you trying to achieve by pinching the crown? Surely it'll just oval it and it won't line up with the threads?

Forget about making it screw down again and just shorten the stem to make it a push-in. It'll still work ok.

924er

Known Member
28/12/16
What are you trying to achieve by pinching the crown? Surely it'll just oval it and it won't line up with the threads?

Forget about making it screw down again and just shorten the stem to make it a push-in. It'll still work ok.

I was trying to achieve a quick fix. Many people have done this before and it works. Somehow the threads are lining up because the crown screws down nice and even.

Eventually it will fail again and that is when I'll consider shortening the stem. But for now it's screwing down nicely even better than when I first bought it.

D

d4m.test

Great post...I just got my IWC 503501 from WO and mine ran into the same problem. Brand new watch and the crown gave way - meaning stopped working out of the box. I followed the instructions here and I can now change my time and day/date