• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Breguet 5157 tradition from LTF (factory) and Lucy (TD) - review

garlicknots

Horology Curious
Supporter
Certified
5/8/23
USA
I've had the pleasure of ordering a Breguet 5157 from the LTF factory from Lucy. Great things to say about her - will absolutely order from her again. In no small part, she gave me confidence to buy from a fairly unknown factory. Now to the watch:

I'm a Breguet fan, and have been on the lookout for good Breguet reps. As other Breguet fans know, the brand is generally under appreciated, and good reps of it are sparse. I hadn't found much information about this new LTF Breguet, so wanted to see it for myself. Most of the images of it from TDs seemed poor, but it looks to me like those pictures may have been early examples. The finish on this is very high quality.

As far as good points go, this is the best Breguet tradition movement I've seen. Out of all Breguet Tradition reps, no other factory has reproduced the balance bridge specifically like LTF factory. This alone convinced me to buy it. The guilloche pattern looks good for what it is, as well (of course, a stamped pattern will never be as beautiful as the real thing). The only problem with this watch, and it's debatably a pretty big one, is that it's not exactly a replica of a Breguet 5157. It's movement, size, and shape, is a replica of a Breguet 5177, while it's face is a replica of a 5157... It's essentially a cross between two similar, but distinct, Breguet watches. The other strange thing about it is that the rotor is not color matched. This can be seen on some Breguet watches, but not the 5157 or the 5177.

I have to admit though, I actually do like it. While I'm not trying to "pass off" this watch as a real thing to anyone, I feel perfectly comfortable wearing it around for two reasons. One, it's just an objectively nice watch to me. And two, Breguet has made so many watches in this style for so many decades, that you'd be hard pressed to say, without a doubt, that Breguet has never made a watch like this one.

As a side note, this an aftermarket alligator leather strap. I think the blue leather goes great with the blue hands :)