• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Bracelet help

iwcforme

Known Member
5/6/08
...so I have a wonderful new Explorer II White dial rep that i am really enjoying. The watch is a great rep and has the correct black hour marker outlines.

The downside is the bracelet. i understand most of the bracelets fall short of the original in their feel with "sharp" edges and a much less substantial feel than their Gen counterparts...is there anything we can do to make these bracelets closer to Gen and more comfortable? Can they be oiled/lubricated and if so how and what do you recomend I use? Also has anyone done anything to 'soften" the edges of the clasp? I actually cut myself on mine! A little retarded I guess ;)

watchbuff

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/07
The rough edges can be taken down and polished (if they are polished) at the same time with a dremel, a buhhing wheel and some rouge (red)

After you took off the rough edges then give it an oil bath for a day.

Get some 3 in 1 household oil and fill a tray with it. Lay the bracelet in the tray for a day and when you remove it, place it on a cotton cloth to draw out theexcess oil. Continually blot and wipoe the bracelet. Capillary action will keep the oil on the voids where you need it to veel buttery smooth.

seventhexile

I'm Pretty Popular
7/7/08
dumb question..
but would cooking oil work?
like some virgin olive oil ..

- Ex

dsgb30043

Horology Curious
15/6/08
seventhexile said:
dumb question..
but would cooking oil work?
like some virgin olive oil ..

- Ex

Sure, but use something less 'fragrant', like canola oil.

What I do is put some in a ziplock back and put just the bracelet in there and move the links around to make sure the oil gets in/around the pins to lubricate it. Then I wipe it down with paper towels to get all the oil off.

After a day or so, get a toothbrush and some aluminum/mag polish from an auto store and polish that baby down for about 10 minutes.

Then wipe all that gunk off and use a clean toothbrush to get it out of the holes and crevices. This will shine up the bracelet, and help to protect it.

Your bracelet should feel very close to gen now. Good luck