• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BP Fifty Fathoms spring/screw bar nightmare

jj69

Renowned Member
1/12/06
Does anyone have a good source for replacement "screw bars" for the BPFF?!?!

I have one of the original Fifty Fathoms "ultimate" reps, which I believe is by the Noob factory. It was the first factory to make a high end version with sapphire bezel insert. From Day One, I couldn't wear it because the sailcloth strap was so short that it could only fit a child's wrist. I eventually found a Bonetto rubber strap and a large kit of drivers at Harbor Freight that at least allowed me to swap the strap and wear the watch for a while. More recently, I wanted to try another strap, and promptly broke one of the original screw bars in the process. Finding a replacement has been a nightmare ever since.

The first set I got was from Topwatchparts ($34). They have a much smaller hex pattern than the originals. They came with their own allen keys, and they look really weird since the hole is so small. The allen keys eventually became stripped, as did the screws, so they're useless now anyway.

I recently got another set off Aliexpress ($8). They look okay, but the heads on each end are too large to fit inside the lugs of the Noob watch! They must have been made to fit ZF versions or some other rep. So totally useless.

Does anyone know of any replacements that look decent and actually fit?!??!

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
I recently got another set off Aliexpress ($8). They look okay, but the heads on each end are too large to fit inside the lugs of the Noob watch! They must have been made to fit ZF versions or some other rep. So totally useless.
thats an easy fix , have them turned down

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
im sure any jeweler could do it actually

jj69

Renowned Member
1/12/06
I'm about an hour from Boston. I will try the local watch guy. I'm THIS close to taking a hammer to the watch so I just don't have to deal with it anymore!

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
youll get it fixed , keep us posted !

shyreplover

Renowned Member
12/6/06
By whom? That's the problem!
attach it to a dremel and let it spin on sand paper?
or buy even more screw to test it out, like this ebay seller who sold 40 already.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
What I would recommend is get a pair of Seiko fat spring bars and use those. Yes you'll have holes on the sides of the lugs similar to how the old rolexes had, but you will eliminate all of your headaches and aggravations with those screw bars. This is the route I used with mine. . The other option which I've read about but not tried personally is you can use the screw bars from an AP ROO. The last option which is also the most expensive would be to buy a set of genuine screw bars. I did this for a previous 50 fathoms and I think they cost me about $80 at the time. If you want to know about the AP screw bar route let me know and I can try it on mine and post some pictures of how it looks for you.

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
What I would recommend is get a pair of Seiko fat spring bars and use those. Yes you'll have holes on the sides of the lugs similar to how the old rolexes had, but you will eliminate all of your headaches and aggravations with those screw bars. This is the route I used with mine. . The other option which I've read about but not tried personally is you can use the screw bars from an AP ROO. The last option which is also the most expensive would be to buy a set of genuine screw bars. I did this for a previous 50 fathoms and I think they cost me about $80 at the time. If you want to know about the AP screw bar route let me know and I can try it on mine and post some pictures of how it looks for you.
+1 for this, those things go directly into the parts drawer on a new FF. learn to live with the spring bars on there. Plus it makes changing straps a breeze! I even do this with PAMs, they have these nifty faux screw spring bars, one end is slotted to look like OEM bars!

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
+1 for this, those things go directly into the parts drawer on a new FF. learn to live with the spring bars on there. Plus it makes changing straps a breeze! I even do this with PAMs, they have these nifty faux screw spring bars, one end is slotted to look like OEM bars!
Yep. Panatime spring bars. I use them on a majority of my Panerai, especially the ones I change straps on frequently.

Reactions: ward1991

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
I’ve seen several listings at the auction site for these bars…I do not think they were particularly pricey, but can’t recall. Worth a search there.