• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BP 16610 mod

Yelow69

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/9/14
BP 16610

Picked up a nice BP 16610 with the 3135 clone as my hunt for a TC,JF or ARF 16610 was fruitless. The BP comes with a nice dial but needs a new set of hands as they have a green tint to them. I also decided to upgrade the stock crystal with a Clark’s crystal which I think is the closest to gen. The insert fonts are wrong so I opted for a gen insert. The case have the correct serial and model engravings between the lugs. It also has rehaut engravings but I opted to remove them as they are not good. The lugs come with a wide chafer so I slightly reshaped them and brushed the lugs.

I was expecting the bezel to be the octagonal wire retaining style but when I pushed the crystal out I found this case uses the newer style bezel which is found on the ceramic subs. There is a small lip on the case around the outside of the rehaut that you will need to file flat maybe 1 mm so that the retaining ring will sit flat. I was able to remove this setup and replace with a WSO gen spec retainer ring and bezel. The WSO bezel is not Gen spec and the gen insert had to be glued into place. I have found this problem with ST bezels as well.

The crown guards are some of the best ones I’ve found on a rep case and I’ve built lots of TC and JF projects.

I haven’t tried fitted a gen dial yet but that’s in the works.

In summation I think this is a great low cost base to build a nice 3135 clone sub.

BP 16610
Gen spec WSO bezel set
Gen insert
Clark’s 1.8mm crystal with a 2.7mm gasket
Stock BP crown, tube with take a gen crown
Stock BP bracelet with hollow links

New hands on the way.

Pics after lugs rebrush

Case pics

Crystal and bezel assembly installed

Completed build

hib7&

Horology Curious
24/10/22
Beautiful work! Do you know how to distinguish the ones with or without the bezel wire when ordering from a td? If they come with the bezel wire, can they be modified to work as gen with the right parts or would it need a new case & crystal? I'm looking into getting into a 1665 or 1680 project and having a hard time understanding the bezel mechanism in the newest cartel models.

Reactions: couchp0tat0

couchp0tat0

Just a Watchnerd
Banned
Certified
18/4/19
Germany/ EU
This is actually a quite useful piece of. Information.. Thanks a lot.
Iam deciding to go Franken here too..
Might try to fit an arf bezel ( they fit gen inserts) to this