• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Bond 50th...Asian 2892 or Swiss ETA 2824

trevsdad

Renowned Member
5/1/13
Is there a significant difference between these two movements???

Both are offered by a handful of TD's and the price range is nearly the same. I recall reading that the ETA 2824's are sometimes sold refurbished and really have no major jump in quality.

Anyone know about these??

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
First time seeing these 50th with a a2892 based movement. I guess they are using two variations but no a2824 version? Strange! Given the choice I would rather go with an a2824 @ a cheaper price point but seeing as none exists then the eta 2824 would be were it is at.

Don't get me wrong I love 2892 based movements but the clone 2892 isn't the best, it can be good but more often than not it's finicky at times, it is not a very refined clone, it can also be very dry and often needs a service quickly....in general except when it's needed for thin watches is probably best avoided. Saying that, I have a couple of older a2892 watches and they feel like an omega coaxial :) Imo the eta 2824, while refurbished even it is probably a more reliable choice.

botsyboy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.
Yes there is, it is the Asia 2892 fitted in iwc mk16 & 17!!
The smp 2892 has crap ar though.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
I would opt for the 2824 for replacement purposes.

botsyboy

Patron
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.
I was wondering about the AR. Does the ETA have double? do u own one?

I don't own one but looking on Ryan's site it clearly has poor ar but others who bought the other movement option have a nice double ar.
Tgat said I have just looks at timeshops pics and it looking amazing but has a 2824 rather than 2892 as stared in his description.

trevsdad

Renowned Member
5/1/13
"...2824 rather than a 2892", how do you know? I couldn't see any stamping on the movement.

I don't own one but looking on Ryan's site it clearly has poor ar but others who bought the other movement option have a nice double ar.
Tgat said I have just looks at timeshops pics and it looking amazing but has a 2824 rather than 2892 as stared in his description.

botsyboy

Patron
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.
You can see in timeshops pics that theirs has a 2824 stamping.

trevsdad

Renowned Member
5/1/13
I see it now...under the balance wheel. Doesn't look like Timeshops took these photos. I just sent maggy a note to get some clarification.

You can see in timeshops pics that theirs has a 2824 stamping.

Buapo

Horology Curious
10/6/13
I've been heavily researching this replica, and I haven't come across a TD that is carrying the Asian movement. Is this Asian movement not ceramic like the "Swiss" movement version? Is there a price difference? And I'm unclear which one has the better AR coating.

trevsdad

Renowned Member
5/1/13
Both Ryan (InTime) and Josh (Perfect Clones) offer the Asian 2892. I got mine from Ryan, cause he offers a slightly better price and faster shipping. This movement has a great reserve...almost 3-days after a good winding. The AR is just ok, but frankly I haven't seen photos of anyone's Bond 50th that displays a better AR. This along with the crown/stem problem is something they'll need to correct on the next version, to truly make this a super rep.

I've been heavily researching this replica, and I haven't come across a TD that is carrying the Asian movement. Is this Asian movement not ceramic like the "Swiss" movement version? Is there a price difference? And I'm unclear which one has the better AR coating.

Buapo

Horology Curious
10/6/13
Thanks for the response. I know a few people have had problem with the stem on theirs, which is a little annoying because it's not aesthetic, it actually interferes with the basic functionality of the watch. I don't want to be afraid I'm going to break it whenever I wind or set it.

I really, really want this or a Seamaster 300 replica, but there's the whole "closed factory" issue on that model. I think this is the next closest thing.

trevsdad

Renowned Member
5/1/13
Funny...that's the same reason I went for the Bond. The stem issue is not that bad... Once u get used to twisting the crown hard as u press it down.

botsyboy

Patron
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.
Both Ryan (InTime) and Josh (Perfect Clones) offer the Asian 2892. I got mine from Ryan, cause he offers a slightly better price and faster shipping. This movement has a great reserve...almost 3-days after a good winding. The AR is just ok, but frankly I haven't seen photos of anyone's Bond 50th that displays a better AR. This along with the crown/stem problem is something they'll need to correct on the next version, to truly make this a super rep.

You need to look a bit harder as some dealers and members have the better ar version.

THXuk

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
25/3/06
London
I ordered mine day of release, so got the 2824. The ar was amazing, but movement was junk, and dial markers crooked, so it went back same day.

Replacement arrived and movement fine, (though i cant confirm whats under the hood this time) and ar is okay only.

Sane thread issue as others.

Lume on both was/is very weak.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
I ordered mine day of release, so got the 2824. The ar was amazing, but movement was junk, and dial markers crooked, so it went back same day.

Replacement arrived and movement fine, (though i cant confirm whats under the hood this time) and ar is okay only.

Sane thread issue as others.

Lume on both was/is very weak.

...Bloody BP factory! I remember you were one of the first to order THX and was wondering what happened to yours, that explains it. Seems like a lucky dip with BP stuff atm. Some great work and some really shoddy stuff from them at same time, CrPO included!.

Mickey Padge

Renowned Member
7/9/06
This BP factory have very poor QC, the Omega 007 has wonky hours markers, misaligned bezels, crooked Omega logo's and some watches have single AR, others double....

Tried to order the 2892 clone (thinner movement, same as gen, better crown placement) but the three QC sets I was sent were terrible watches, in the end went and got a refund...

Another dealer told me the noob factory are working on all these Omega reps, and so I will happily wait :)