• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Blue surf on Leather strap?

TynoPrime

Known Member
20/9/12
Has anyone ever seen this? Google and forum searches bring up nothing.

I'd love a blue leather strap that keeps the use of the deployment buckle. Does anyone know where I could get one? Does anyone own one for theirs?

Thanks guys!

~Tyno

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Never seen any, but I think it would be intersting.
If you have the exact dimensions of the strap you can ask one of the trusted strap makers and they will custom do it for you, most have reasonable prices and VERY good quality.
:cheers:

TynoPrime

Known Member
20/9/12
Yeah I think I will. Do you think they would be able to make it fit the deployment clasp? Only one way to find out I suppose!

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
There shouldn't be problem to make the strap fit the clasp, but it depends on the shape of the clasp.
Be sure to take all measures (thickness also) and send a pic to the maker you choose.

Good luck and remember to post pics if you get it!

ctlawyer

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/4/12
Thread is a little out of date, but i too am thinking of putting my blue surf on leather. Does anyone have any pics of theirs?

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

TynoPrime

Known Member
20/9/12
Hey, I have a few pretty badly taken pics, blue surf on blue croc strap.

They're pretty bad but you'll get the idea!

l4z7.jpg

jp55.jpg

cq5k.jpg

uzx4.jpg

ctlawyer

1/4/12
Great pics; it looks great. I recently tried mine on leather, and found it very difficult to fit the strap because the holes in the lugs are so close to the case. Did you have a similar experience?

TynoPrime

Known Member
20/9/12
Great pics; it looks great. I recently tried mine on leather, and found it very difficult to fit the strap because the holes in the lugs are so close to the case. Did you have a similar experience?

Actually I had no problems fitting the leather, it was getting the rubber back on that was painful! Due to as you said trying to clip the spring bars in when they're so close to the case side. A little patience and it worked fine though.

watch.aholic

Renowned Member
23/3/11

That is surely a problem as I noticed it when I tried mounting a leather strap on my Maxi Marine Chrono. Hardly any room for the leather to fit in between the case and where the spring bars go in the case....I am toying with the idea of using curved spring bars to see if that'd leave enough room for leather to fit in the tiny gap.....Not sure though if it'd be safe on a curved spring bar.

If you look at the blue strap pics above....it seems the spring bars have curved a bit to accommodate the leather.

ctlawyer

1/4/12
I ended up putting on a black leather strap I had with blue stitching. It's really a shame. The watch looked nice on leather, but I was concerned that the spring bars were under a lot of stress and might fail. (like an idiot I didn't take picks :facepalm: ) I have it back on the rubber it came with now and plan to leave it that way for the time being. If you try the curved bars post some pics and your impressions.
That is surely a problem as I noticed it when I tried mounting a leather strap on my Maxi Marine Chrono. Hardly any room for the leather to fit in between the case and where the spring bars go in the case....I am toying with the idea of using curved spring bars to see if that'd leave enough room for leather to fit in the tiny gap.....Not sure though if it'd be safe on a curved spring bar.

If you look at the blue strap pics above....it seems the spring bars have curved a bit to accommodate the leather.

bellross

Known Member
28/2/10
Looks good on the blue leather, but I personally prefer it on the SS bracelet.

watch.aholic

Renowned Member
23/3/11
I ended up putting on a black leather strap I had with blue stitching. It's really a shame. The watch looked nice on leather, but I was concerned that the spring bars were under a lot of stress and might fail. (like an idiot I didn't take picks :facepalm: ) I have it back on the rubber it came with now and plan to leave it that way for the time being. If you try the curved bars post some pics and your impressions.

It's just that I don't have any thin 22mm strap to mount with curved spring bars (haven't ordered them yet) on the Maxi diver. I am dead sure that the diver would look awesome on a Mesh....However again the fear is that if I buy 22mm Staib Mesh just for this watch and if it won't fit, I'd lose money on it trying to sell as I don't have too many 22mm watches that'd rock a mesh bracelet.....

What's your opinion on the lug case room? Do you think there is enough for the mesh bracelet lug pins to fit in between the case and lug holes?

ctlawyer

1/4/12
watch.aholic, tough to say, the holes are super close to the case, the leather I used actually rubbed. There are some pretty inexpensive mesh bracelets out there (some really expensive ones too!), so you can avoid breaking the bank. I went that route on one of my pam homages just to see how it would look. I think the bracelet set me back 15-20 bucks. Give it a try.

watch.aholic

Renowned Member
23/3/11
Oh god that is so hard to believe...that strap looks 'super thick' and you mounted it on this UN......I am beginning to think that there is probably more room in these non chrono UN divers....There is no way in the world you'd be able to put THAT strap on a chrono maxi diver....

Did you use the rep springbars that came with the watch....They look like Seiko fat spring bars....

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
That was one of those $20 straps I was selling a while back. The strap is thick, but up by the lug it's thin. Good straps should not be too thick up there, then you run into those problems like you had attaching.. Although, there's always those hard to fit cases. The non chrono MMD doesn't seem to be a problem, the straps mount easily with plain old regular spring bars.