• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Blue Seamaster. Help choosing factory.

PTwatchLover

Certified
29/8/22
Portugal
Hi! I've been looking into reps for a while now and have a couple of Rolex so far. I did my homework and chose VSF from what I red then. Now I'm looking for a blue seamaster, to replace a rep I have that I don't like that much, but I can't figure out what's the best factory for it regarding looks. VSF? ORF? ZF? The main things that I don't like in the rep I have are:
- muted tone of red of the word "Seamaster"
- pearl not recessed
- bracelet doesn't have micro adjustment although it has divers extension
- 12 o'clock markers are very close together

So given this flaws (pic attached), what factory do you recommend?

Thanks!

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Bit of a late response, so I'm not sure if you are still interested in a new SMP.

I don't think VSF has anything to do with the 12 hours markers being aligned like this. They are misplaced and I wonder how this passed QC. 😂

Out of ORF and VSF, I always preferred VSF. But lately, ZF seems to have nailed the SMP pretty darn good. I still think VSF is a good choice for the SMP, but atm folks generally seem to prefer ZF.

At the end of the day, all 3 factories have their strengths and weaknesses and produce the best SMP reps.

Reactions: RDRoss

Teamjlf

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/19
Replica oblivion…
My 2c
Steer clear of VSF, they are more prone to crown and tube stripping than either ZF or ORF. Unless they fix this issue, VSF is a phattt NO. They also have failed to update the movement with the regulator screw. If you’re gonna have a clear case back, may as well fix this aesthetic issue. Both ZF and ORF have the reg screw. VSF have also failed to address the crown guard shape on their cases…. The CG are too stubby and incorrectly shaped. ZF and ORF have more accurate cases and CG.
VSF have work to do….

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Pretty valid points. The crown tube is actually major weakness which will keep from getting another VSF SMP, except for maybe an NTTD V4 at some point. But I still love my PO and AT from VS factory. ☺️

Reactions: Teamjlf

Teamjlf

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/19
Replica oblivion…
Pretty valid points. The crown tube is actually major weakness which will keep from getting another VSF SMP, except for maybe an NTTD V4 at some point. But I still love my PO and AT from VS factory. ☺️
VSF Rolex and PO’s / AT’s all seem to be fine. The seamaster 300 VSF range is where the crown and tube issues are at.

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
VSF Rolex and PO’s / AT’s all seem to be fine. The seamaster 300 VSF range is where the crown and tube issues are at.
Yup, both don't have that problem.

I have a black ceramic titanium SMP from VSF that has 1 and a half rotations or so left, so at some point I expect it to no longer be screwable. Not sure what I'll do. One option is to cut the stem, but I think I'll bring it to a rep watchmaker instead. Otherwise, it's a perfect rep and probably visually the closest to gen SMP. It's on top of the consensual list ahead of other SMPs for a reason.

Side-by-side comparison of the VSF with gen:

Last edited:

Teamjlf

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/19
Replica oblivion…
Yup, both don't have that problem.

I have a black ceramic titanium SMP from VSF that has 1 and a half rotations or so left, so at some point I expect it to no longer be screwable. Not sure what I'll do. One option is to cut the stem, but I think I'll bring it to a rep watchmaker instead.
Yep
Have a watchmaker cut the stem and scrub the tube threads. Turn it into a push pull crown and hey presto ! No more issues and you can enjoy your watch.
I did this to my VSF / SBF PO ultra deep just recently, works like a champ.

Macbook

Horology Curious
6/10/23
Yep
Have a watchmaker cut the stem and scrub the tube threads. Turn it into a push pull crown and hey presto ! No more issues and you can enjoy your watch.
I did this to my VSF / SBF PO ultra deep just recently, works like a champ.
PO's also have the crown stripping problem?