• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Bezel feel on new RAF 16610lv

danny401k

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/8/11
I may be getting a little too big for my britches posting this in the tech section. But it seemed appropriate as it is a bit more than a review.
Many people have complained about the flimsy and cheap feel of the bezel on the new RAF Kermit. It feels almost loose and turns way to easily and doesn’t feel locked into place. When playing with it I happen to notice quite a bit of play in what I would call the vertical plane. Meaning the bezel diameter in relation to the mount felt pretty nice. But you could sort of tilt it as if it had up and down play. This seemed to be the source of the loose and cheap feel to me.
Let me say in advance that I stink at documenting this stuff so I am a little low on good pictures.
I watched a few videos of people with gen watches and the bezel often gets too tight. So I figured the fit must be much tighter on the gen. There is a bushing that sits between the case and the bezel which should help it to turn and probably contributes to this tight fit.
I removed the bezel and the washer that was used on my example measured .008”.

What I did was make another washer/bushing to add to the existing one from .002” stainless sheet. The photo is before cleaning up the washer. It should be as close to perfectly round as you can get obviously. But cutting .002” sheet is almost like cutting tinfoil LOL. Patience is a virtue and you can always start over.
The result of the additional thickness was immediately apparent. The bezel required a little firmer press to snap in place. And now requires a bit of force to rotate but the clicks are distinct and it is in no danger of moving on its own. Also unlike some other examples the teeth on my bezel look perfectly fine.

So this may be an option for some instead of buying a new bezel or just living with the flimsy feel of the original

Reactions: ZMCoupe