• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Bezel edges on PO/UPO

danq85

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
31/10/12
I have noticed some versions of the PO have a pointed bezel edge, while others have a flat edge. I have seen the 42mm PO with both edge styles. I have attached a pic of the two styles for reference, though I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about.

I ordered a UPO from a TD and I asked which edge it will have, this was their response:

Yes POs have pointed tooth bezels not scalloped.

Which leaves me a little uncertain, since when I read "scalloped" I am thinking of the pointed style. The 2nd attached image is of a scallop, which looks essentially like the "pointed" style I reference in the 1st attached image. Yet they said the bezel is pointed. So... definitely confused by the response. I'm going to e-mail them again with the images so I can get a definitive answer, of course. But I wanted to ask here if the 45mm UPO ever been made with the flat style bezel edge?

BaggyPants

Renowned Member
24/11/12
45mm UPO with correct bezel:

45mmPO-3_zps7ea0f208.jpg

Note that there are 60 scalloped "teeth" on it, five per hour marker on the bezel. They are curved cuts. The cheaper reps only have about 50.

V5 42mm PO with correct bezel:

PO42-1.jpg

The PO 42 has what they call a "coin edge", with lots of straight cuts on the edge. No curve to the cuts.

The UPO should not have the straight cuts and the PO 42 should not have curved cuts.

danq85

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
31/10/12
Thanks so much for the information, that clears things up then. Like I said, I've seen 42's with the UPO bezel edge, didn't know they were supposed to be exclusive to the size. I prefer the coin edge look, but the 45.5mm size. Does anyone rep the UPO with the coin edge?

BaggyPants

Renowned Member
24/11/12
Doubt it very much. The whole idea of the ultimate PO is that it's accurate. The bezels are completely different sizes, so not swappable either.

danq85

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
31/10/12
Doubt it very much. The whole idea of the ultimate PO is that it's accurate. The bezels are completely different sizes, so not swappable either.

Well who would expect a 42mm version bezel to fit a 45mm version? :lol:

I understand the use of "ultimate" to denote accuracy. Is there not a 42 with the same level of accuracy? Was the gen 42 ever made with the pointed bezel edge? If not, then the ones with pointed edge are a "fantasy" rep I suppose? It's not crazy to think the 45 could have been repped with the coin edge seeing as the 42 has been repped with the pointed edge. Unless there was a gen 42 with pointed... then it's moot of course.

Last, but not least, looking around on the Omega website I can see several 45 PO's with the coin edge bezel. So the "ultimate" 45 currently available is not accurate, at least not compared to the latest models.

danq85

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
31/10/12
That's what I figured. Well... here's to hoping a version of the 45 comes out sooner than later that has the coin edge bezel.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
The newer omega PO's (8500) gens (not available in reps yet!) have all adopted the coin edge, both in 42mm and 45mm so the newer reps when the come out will have this feature.

513659d1316004263-planet-ocean-42mm-vs-45mm-side-side-pics-pp_seamaster_gents_planetocean_size8500.jpg

Old models (current reps!)

IMG_2331.jpg

danq85

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
31/10/12
And of course there is no way of knowing when reps of the newer models will be coming out. :\ Looks like I will have two 45 PO's eventually then.