• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tutorial: How to build an inexpensive lightbox

jack_bauer

Renowned Member
12/9/08
A friend asked me how I shot my watch pictures without getting the flash bouncing back and I put together a short tutorial on building an inexpensive lightbox.

Here is a picture of a watch that I shot a few months ago:
IMG_8532.jpg

A few things wrong:
You can't see the dial straight on, when I shot it straight on, the flash reflection washed out the dial so I had to take it at an extreme angle
Overexposed at the dial, underexposed on the strap

All credit goes to http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent

Lightbox001.jpg

Start with a decent size box. I used a short box and taped the lid flaps together to extend it.

Lightbox003.jpg

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box (I really hope someone gets this reference) Cut three holes, one on the top and one on each side. You'll be cutting away the white part in this picture.

Lightbox004.jpg

Get some white cloth from a fabric store. I bought 2 yards in case I needed more or messed up but I only ended up using about a half of a yard. Different hues of white will yield a different result. I got an off-white.

Lightbox005.jpg

Cut pieces of the white cloth larger than the holes you cut in step 1 and tape them over the holes. I only used one layer, but you can experiment with different numbers of layers and different thicknesses. A glue stick would also work here.

Lightbox006.jpg

Set up two desk lamps on either side of the lightbox. This can be done with one lamp if you get a bright enough lamp and put it on top pointing down. The more light sources you use, the less of a shadow you'll get. You can even use three lamps but I found through experience and research that two lamps on the sides will give you the best result.

Lightbox007.jpg

Get a piece of white butcher paper or poster board and lay it on the back and bottom of the lightbox. This will serve as a backdrop so make sure it is a good white color, clean, and seamless (Don't tape two pieces of paper together or the seam will show) Put whatever you want to photograph in the box and move the lamps accordingly to get the best light. If your item is reflective, you might get yourself in the shot or part of the brown box so just be aware of shooting reflective objects.

Lightbox009.jpg

You'll end up with a picture like this when you take it. Don't use a flash or you'll get harsh light reflecting back at you and it will make your picture look like crap. Here is where you will want to shoot your pictures in raw so you can edit it on the computer. The reason the picture came out with a brown color is because 1) The light bulbs I used were off the shelf CFLs 2) The white balance wasn't set on my camera and 3) The white fabric I chose is off-white.

To fix #1, you can buy light bulbs that give off "natural" light and install them in your lamps. To fix #2, you can set the white balance before your shoot but it's so easy to change on the computer, I don't even bother. To fix #3, you'll have to experiment with different tints and thicknesses of white fabric. Again, it's so easy to fix on the computer I don't bother with this.

Lightbox010.jpg

Less than a minute of editing and here is the final result.
Changes made were:
Fix white balance
Increase brightness
Rotate and crop

This part is subjective and you can edit it to your heart's content.

Lightbox011.jpg

When you're done, you can put everything back in the lightbox for easy storage. Some people have used clear Tupperware boxes with locking lids instead of cutting up a cardboard box that that works too. I just worked with what I had around the house.

Total Cost:
Box - had around the house
2 lamps - $3.99 each at target
Lightblulbs - I had them but if you need them they're 3 for $1 at ranch 99
Fabric - $2.99 but i could have done it with about $1 worth
Posterboard backdrop - Had this, but it's cheap if you need to buy
Packing tape - Who doesn't have this?

PAM022.jpg

This is an example of shooting something reflective. You'll notice at 1:30, 4:30, 7:00, and 11:00, you can see the brown part of the box that wasn't covered by the backdrop.

There are infinite ways of making a lightbox and shooting your watches, but this project was quick, cheap, and has lasted me a few months. I hope this helps.

ShadowB

Known Member
16/1/10
Hehe Strobist ftw :) I remember building one of those a couple years ago :D

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
Great stuff man. :) A great setup for both the point and shooters and wannabe photog's like myself. Thanks for doing this!

JellyJoe

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/09
I will always stop by n bump these nice ideas. Very good job mate, thx for sharing.

TheLoveOfBotham

28/9/09
Real nice guide jack; I only wish I'd seen this yesterday!

I shall make one of these at the weekend, and hopefully improve the quality of pictures I'm taking. Thanks for sharing.

Oh, and I did get your 'step 1' reference :rofl:

"Every single holiday is **** in a box!"

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Neat and very cheap lightbox.
Thanks for the idea mate.

Col.

tangle

5/8/09
UK
Great post, I built one in a similar way, and then progressed onto a slightly better bought one, then my girlfriend bought a really expensive pro one for photographing the jewellery she makes and sells, so I have the luxury of a really good light tent but unfortunately I have not had the time to send pictures or do a post. Full marks for posting.

I have found the cheap "day light" tungsten bulbs (available in the UK) still tended to taint the image compared to true daylight fluorescents the pro lamps use, also they tend to get real hot very quickly.

This all reminds me I need more time and to send a post. Even with the best equipment I am still struggling to get really good images, perhaps I am using the wrong lens combos.

I have the Canon 450D with a canon 50mm f1.8 with close up macro filters, a sigma 18-55 f2.8 with a macro setting as well as the standard 18-55mm canon default lens but still not happy with the quality. I think I need more time to practice.

Thanks

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08
Thanks for taking the trouble to illustrate this. I'm guessing that it would work for pens too, so I might have to try this.

jack_bauer

Renowned Member
12/9/08
Thanks for all of the comments

This setup is good for photographing small objects, I was able to shoot my 350d with battery grip and flash but something that big created shadows.

Canon002.jpg

The picture of the Tag was taken with a Canon 20d, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, ISO 400, 1/60, f/ 5.6 at 135mm. I just held it free hand since I didn't want to break out the tripod.

iphreak

Renowned Member
28/8/09
Awesome Post.... I have no idea how I missed this. Thanks, and I might just have to build one. Never thought I would get into taking photos of my watches. :)

andy66

Known Member
21/10/09
Im going to give this a go,nice one.

Ive only got a point and press and my pics were a little shaky to say the least.

I got a little tripod from a pound shop and the difference it has made to my pics is amazing.....take a look.....
without tripod
picturesseptember2009417.jpg

with tripod
march2010055.jpg