• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best Pam Submersible

matty1938

Certified
16/5/16
Hi gents, currently what is the best Pam submersible? Think it was noob when I last looked.

dadog13

Respected Member
Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
You need to read all the sticky threads in the Panerai section, especially ALE’s guide to PAMs. All your answers are there..

matty1938

Certified
16/5/16
Best I mean the most close to gen right now, although I will need to take into account that I want a 44mm ideally. I just not that clued up on pams...time to read and get into these

Ghostrider757

I'm the one who knocks.
Patron
Certified
9/8/17
Underground
Best I mean the most close to gen right now, although I will need to take into account that I want a 44mm ideally. I just not that clued up on pams...time to read and get into these

Who cares which one is closest to gen? That sounds dumb. Are you just trying to fool someone? or are you trying to buy a watch that you like?

Sent from the RWI App

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Pick up an H factory or Noob 243 in the M2M section. Great watch.

Lliu31

Renowned Member
Certified
3/2/17
NYC
They all have their flaws. But the general consensus is that panerais are the best repped of all the brands. I own 5 panerai reps and although a few are considered "super reps, not worth buying in gen" their tells are evident under scrutiny. I agree with tucker. 243 is very well repped. Also the new 389 and 382 look to be super rep status as well. But at the end of the day, get the model you like, not because one of us here say that x model is better than y model.

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Who cares which one is closest to gen? That sounds dumb. Are you just trying to fool someone? or are you trying to buy a watch that you like?

Sent from the RWI App

So I guess a lot of us are dumb by that definition, myself included. :p To be honest, we're not here because the ones we can find at canal street already fit our non-discerning easy to please tastes right? Best is first and foremost, which one is closest to gen. Some may argue that price is a factor, but when stacked up against the cost of the gen, all it boils down to it how close is the rep to the gen and is it at least 90% of the looks but only spend at most 10% of the cost. ;) Not to say I don't buy non-super rep watches. I have some old school PAMs that I'll never sell and even a fantasy PAM I bought just because I like it.

Now to get back to the OP's question, there are many great options for submersibles. But if you're leaning towards 44mm, the best ones are the PAM243 (Noob and H-Fac, read the guide to know the versions) and the PAM087 H-fac. Unfortunately Noob stopped making the PAM243 and H-fac stopped, well, existing. So your only best bet to get one of these is through M2M. The newest 44mm sub is the PAM024C from XF which is an upgrade compared to the DSN PAM024D before but the jury's still out on the classification, very minimum first class rep.

For 47mm subs, you can do some reading on the guide. Good luck on your sub hunt. :)

matty1938

Certified
16/5/16
You
So I guess a lot of us are dumb by that definition, myself included. :p To be honest, we're not here because the ones we can find at canal street already fit our non-discerning easy to please tastes right? Best is first and foremost, which one is closest to gen. Some may argue that price is a factor, but when stacked up against the cost of the gen, all it boils down to it how close is the rep to the gen and is it at least 90% of the looks but only spend at most 10% of the cost. ;) Not to say I don't buy non-super rep watches. I have some old school PAMs that I'll never sell and even a fantasy PAM I bought just because I like it.

Now to get back to the OP's question, there are many great options for submersibles. But if you're leaning towards 44mm, the best ones are the PAM243 (Noob and H-Fac, read the guide to know the versions) and the PAM087 H-fac. Unfortunately Noob stopped making the PAM243 and H-fac stopped, well, existing. So your only best bet to get one of these is through M2M. The newest 44mm sub is the PAM024C from XF which is an upgrade compared to the DSN PAM024D before but the jury's still out on the classification, very minimum first class rep.

For 47mm subs, you can do some reading on the guide. Good luck on your sub hunt. :)

There is still some sound people on here thanks buddy, there’s plenty of super reps out there which I don’t like, but if there is one you like, that happens to have a super rep out, or 2 other dogs....which one would we all prefer :)

nikos1974

29/11/10
I had a chance to compare side by side a latest rep and a gen 364. I have to say I was speechless. Only visible difference is that the valve on the gen is polished, something you can easily do with a cape cod cloth on the rep in 5 minutes. The watches were exactly the same in looks thanks to the closed caseback too.

superspark69

Respected Member
Certified
22/10/18
Sheffield, UK
I had a chance to compare side by side a latest rep and a gen 364. I have to say I was speechless. Only visible difference is that the valve on the gen is polished, something you can easily do with a cape cod cloth on the rep in 5 minutes. The watches were exactly the same in looks thanks to the closed caseback too.

Where did you get the rep from?

Ghostrider757

I'm the one who knocks.
Patron
Certified
9/8/17
Underground
If the OP said....Which PAM243 is the closest to gen, thats respectable because he looked at it, likes it and just wants the best he can get. But the question is just fishing for someone to tell him which one he should get based on closeness to Gen. Why have others tell you what you should like? Find what you like and get the best you can afford.

Rufctr2

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
16/2/16
There is only one 364 rep right now and every dealer sells it. It is exactly the same as the earlier noob version, no difference. Super rep for sure

I think the last 364 vsf version use the clone movement with the same movement function as gen. A true super rep and even better with the kevlar big torpedo strap.

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
If the OP said....Which PAM243 is the closest to gen, thats respectable because he looked at it, likes it and just wants the best he can get. But the question is just fishing for someone to tell him which one he should get based on closeness to Gen. Why have others tell you what you should like? Find what you like and get the best you can afford.

Some, like you, know what they want (or rather, don't ask and just read). He prefers to get opinions from others. Both are completely acceptable. That's why there's a forum. ;)

I think the last 364 vsf version use the clone movement with the same movement function as gen. A true super rep and even better with the kevlar big torpedo strap.

I don't think I've seen a PAM364 from VSF. Link?

Reactions: HauntedHat