• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BEST out of the box Omega?

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
Omega Ultimate PO.

cant think of anything else that comes close.

maybe an aquaterra if no one looks at the caseback.

spookycord

Known Member
1/6/07
...UPO get my vote. SMP chrono if you get one with correct date font.
closed factory smp with correct he placement maybe.
Certain versions of the railmaster have been known to be good too.
And as mentioned the 42mm PO 4th gen is pretty good too.

ap_offshore

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/7/07
crick said:
Omega Ultimate PO.

cant think of anything else that comes close.

maybe an aquaterra if no one looks at the caseback.

I couldn't find any photo in the internet of a genuine Aqua Terra Caseback.
Can anyone tell me where i can see a picture of it?

seank

I'm Pretty Popular
20/3/06
Its not the case back thats the problem its the movement thats a dead giveaway. BTW the only way to get the most accurate Aqua Terra is to got to Trusty Time ask Andrew to take an eta movement and put it in the asian version of the piece. The dial on the ETA version is not correct. Its very strange and why I got rid of my White faced Aqua Terra.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
I would say the Chrono SMP with blue bezel 6-9-12 combo (standard SMP Chrono) is the best one out of box. Datewheel is the only weak point.

SD4K

Renowned Member
25/10/06
takashi said:
I would say the Chrono SMP with blue bezel 6-9-12 combo (standard SMP Chrono) is the best one out of box. Datewheel is the only weak point.

I think the pearl is off, too. And often it arrives with mis-aligned bezel.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Well, then we need a bit of luck here. It's totally fine on my piece. It is a very good replica (I invested on genuine hands, ETA 7750, genuine dial on this piece) and required less modding than let say an UPO or SMP non chrono.

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
the current AT's i think have a display back now (have they always?) - so its a dead giveaway for a rep b/c most comes in their standard brass, not nickel plated.

SMP chrono is another good one.

The UPO has no or little flaws? maybe AR? someone verify?

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
bracelet is weak point on every single omega reps (especially the clasp). They are just not that well made as compared to the genuine article. Possible solution is switch to genuine rubber strap or calf/croc strap. Omega genuine bracelet simply costs too much. Some UPO have certain issue with crooked Omega logo on the dial and uneven lume too. Some caseback is said to be easily scratched. On top of that, shorter minute hand as well as off orange tip colour second hand. On the other hand, SMP Chrono doesn't suffer from this issue. It has the closest to genuine Orange tip colour and no problem with the dial. I have seen the bezel problem mentioned above but not on current batch IMHO.

searching

5/4/07
I have a UPO 42mm version and my only gripe is that the Omega symbol is too close to the text on the dial. It's practically touching the text and should have a little space in between. Other than that it's really really good - I've compared to the gen.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Yes, add that to 42mm PO 4th gen. This watch is my favourite and I have fully modified it. Some problems with clasp gap but it can be fixed. Again, shorter minute hand as well as bad orange tip colour. Here is the result after modding:

b2c55ab9.jpg

searching

5/4/07
Looks great! Did you have to have the omega symbol moved up a bit on the dial? Mine is definitely lower, but now I'm thinking it's a QC thing on my watch and I was just unlucky.

MZ

Known Member
23/2/07
Definitely the SMP Chrono (Bond) !

This is the only Omega rep I have seen that can stand up to my gen Omega's, the quality is that good.

I modded mine and added a gen dial, gen hands and a gen Omega 1164 movement.
There is no way you can tell the difference now!

jpeg

Horology Curious
3/12/07
Lads, which makers would you recommend for the best UPO?
Thanks I appreciate
rgds
J.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
For UPO, it comes from the same makers except Silix. You can order from any sellers, chances are you will get the same piece... Things to look out: Omega logo on the dial and crown (some come with easily stripped crown). Good luck.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
searching said:
Looks great! Did you have to have the omega symbol moved up a bit on the dial? Mine is definitely lower, but now I'm thinking it's a QC thing on my watch and I was just unlucky.

Mine comes with genuine dial.