• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best 21J Speedmaster Moon?

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
Having read some very informative threads on the Moony and it's lack of a decent rep I've decided to save for a gen Pro.

In the mean time I'm going to get myself a 21J version. Which is the best out of these two...?

http://www.timeshops.net/speedmaster/1345-omega-speedmaster-professional-black---asia-21j.html

or

http://www.silix-prime.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_231&products_id=2229

Are they the same watch? The caseback on the Silix version is obviously wrong, but I'm not sure if it's a website boobie or not?

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11

I know it's a solid watch but I know I'm going to want to replace the crystal on it and the subdial spacing is going to annoy me every time I wear it! I'm not too fussed about the chronograph function at the moment so 21J is fine. I actually had Watcheden's quartz version which was okay apart from the incorrect, non-recessed subdials and slightly undersized case. It didn't last long...

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
I have the Silix one and it does indeed have the wrong caseback. It's the one in the pictures. I really like the dial on it though.

The timeshop 21j has a pretty good caseback though. It has the space between the "for all" that other reps don't. They all say "forall". I'd like to find a back like that and swap mine out.

I also have the quartz version from Watcheden and agree that the case is a little small. I also hate the fact that 2 of the subdials are the same. That's just stupid.

I just looked at the hand wind on timeshops site and it kinda sucks 'cause 2 days ago it was $205. Anyway, I like the dial on that one. I bought the handwind from MR and the subdials are flat and the dial markings are a little green looking. Don't know if the pics on timeshops site are old or if they actually have the watch in the pics.

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
I have the Silix one and it does indeed have the wrong caseback. It's the one in the pictures. I really like the dial on it though.

The timeshop 21j has a pretty good caseback though. It has the space between the "for all" that other reps don't. They all say "forall". I'd like to find a back like that and swap mine out.

I also have the quartz version from Watcheden and agree that the case is a little small. I also hate the fact that 2 of the subdials are the same. That's just stupid.

I just looked at the hand wind on timeshops site and it kinda sucks 'cause 2 days ago it was $205. Anyway, I like the dial on that one. I bought the handwind from MR and the subdials are flat and the dial markings are a little green looking. Don't know if the pics on timeshops site are old or if they actually have the watch in the pics.

My guess is they're the same rep - just slightly different photos.

I had a TS 21J for a few months - it has a nice case back and a pretty damn good dial. There's a good thread on RWG about the original quartz Watcheden Moony (with the correct case diameter and much better subdial appearance). I've got a feeling they don't make them anymore which is a pity as it seems to combine the best of both worlds. I could even live with the tick tick tick...!