• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Beginners questions. durability; power reserve

Jusezim

Horology Curious
2/10/22
Hello dudes. I'm new in this world and I'm choosing a model for my first buy. Im interested on the tag heuer aquaracer carbon (I already heard its discontinued, but my questions applys to all other watches).

I wanna know how is the durability of a good rep. Can I expect to remain with one for 1 year? 5? 10? I know it depends of a lot of factor like maintenance, conditions of use and so on. But i just wanna know if in a good circunstance, how many time Im going to have a rep working?

Another thing that I wanna know is about power reserve of these chinese automatic movements. The gen aquaracer carbon is about to last 38hours of power reserve. What about the A2824 that comes with the rep? How many time its supposed to last?

I apreciatte all coments and tips that you can give me.

drinkdrankdrunk

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/11/21
UK
The durability question is something of a lottery. Some movements are known timebombs, but you’re always playing China roulette when dealing with Chinese watches. You can be lucky and you can be unlucky.

Feefo

Holding the eject button
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Eta clones are quite reliable, and if they are well assembled they will last as their Gen counterparts. Obviously, that is often not the case (untidy working environment, no quality control...) , but if you get them serviced they should serve you well for quite some time, lika any other movement, and worst case you can swap them with the original.
I have 3 reps with eta clones and the power reserve is quite decent, I didn't measure it, but 30ish hours sound feasible.

Reactions: P..DR..D

Jusezim

Horology Curious
2/10/22
The durability question is something of a lottery. Some movements are known timebombs, but you’re always playing China roulette when dealing with Chinese watches. You can be lucky and you can be unlucky.

Anything's possible, the movement can be DOA or run five years without issues.
Thanks for the answers. But these two opinions makes me a little concerned. Some cheap rep that Im seeing cost about 200-300$. In my currency, its about R$1200-1500. Im from brazil.

And here we have some national brands that have some automatic models for about R$800-1000, with warranty and so on.

So I dont have sure that is worth to expend more money just to have a big brand name on my wrist.

Eta clones are quite reliable, and if they are well assembled they will last as their Gen counterparts. Obviously, that is often not the case (untidy working environment, no quality control...) , but if you get them serviced they should serve you well for quite some time, lika any other movement, and worst case you can swap them with the original.
I have 3 reps with eta clones and the power reserve is quite decent, I didn't measure it, but 30ish hours sound feasible.
I apreciate your opinion. Youre more confident that the two others guys.

drinkdrankdrunk

19/11/21
UK
Thanks for the answers. But these two opinions makes me a little concerned. Some cheap rep that Im seeing cost about 200-300$. In my currency, its about R$1200-1500. Im from brazil.

And here we have some national brands that have some automatic models for about R$800-1000, with warranty and so on.

So I dont have sure that is worth to expend more money just to have a big brand name on my wrist.

I think that’s the sad reality of it my friend. Yes, you can buy cheaper brands who will likely be more reliable. Most of the Seiko range doesn’t cost much, and will last a very long time.

With replicas you are mostly paying for a brand name. But you’re also paying $500 for a $15000 watch.

Reactions: YellowFin

Feefo

Holding the eject button
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU

I think we're actually saying all the same things but from different points of view. These things are not assembled in a Swiss laboratory. If you're lucky, the watchmaker who did assemble it knows his stuff, kept his desk relatively clean and had the time to cross all t's. If not, the movement will simply look crappy and dirty and could die anytime. In a neat status, they're good movements that can last a very long time.

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Be aware of the potential disappointment, but do not be too afraid to try if you can afford it. Choose one of the well known movement clones, that can be replaced easily if you want to have more safety.

If you are about to spend money that is really gonna hurt you, don't do it. Buy necessities for you or your family instead.

P..DR..D

KING OF BALD ARMS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

This is a hobby for fun, bills and necessities first, always.

As mentioned watches can arrive DOA (dead on arrival) or last years. I've had a mix of both, thankfully alot more of the latter, fingers crossed.

It may be that the watch you decide on, if it develops issues, could be cheaper to acually replace if you don't have a local watchsmith willing to work on reps. Or it could be an easy fix.

Some members say to service upon receipt, I tend to fix if it breaks or develops serious symptoms.

I know the advice you're being given is kinda like 'it depends', but it really does (warm climate, moisture etc)

Best of luck

Reactions: Feefo and Plaasbaas

Jusezim

Horology Curious
2/10/22
Thank you for all replies guys.

I think the point is: we dont have warranty. Both gen or rep stuff have a probability of have some issue. The difference is this case is that this rep dont have a quality control and so on. But I got the idea, its reliable, but can come with some issues if I'm a unlucky boy lol

Be aware of the potential disappointment, but do not be too afraid to try if you can afford it. Choose one of the well known movement clones, that can be replaced easily if you want to have more safety.

If you are about to spend money that is really gonna hurt you, don't do it. Buy necessities for you or your family instead.
For sure I arent going to last my family necessities to buy a watch lol. I have the money for that, I'm just discovering this world and wondering my pros and cons. Thank you for the advice

Jusezim

Horology Curious
2/10/22
Thank you for all replies guys.

I think the point is: we dont have warranty. Both gen or rep stuff have a probability of have some issue. The difference is this case is that this rep dont have a quality control and so on. But I got the idea, its reliable, but can come with some issues if I'm a unlucky boy lol

For sure I arent going to last my family necessities to buy a watch lol. I have the money for that, I'm just discovering this world and wondering my pros and cons. Thank you for the advice

P..DR..D

KING OF BALD ARMS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Its definitely a fun hobby, you will enjoy it, but similar to gambling there is a risk. I have been lucky so far, as I think it's fair to say ,the vast majority of members across the forum have been.

But if you buy from a TD, you will get what you pay for. Use only their contact details at their forum page - never ever google them.

And there will always be some hesitation with your first purchase, the ones after are alot easier ;)

Best of luck & enjoy exploring the forum.

Reactions: Feefo and Plaasbaas

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
"its reliable, but can come with some issues if I'm a unlucky boy lol"

Exactly :) fingers crossed that you are one of the majority of the lucky guys, who's watch(es) last(s) without issues.

Stick to my friend @P..DR..D 's tipps and buy from reliable TD's and you will probably be amazed.

Best of luck!

pamstan224

Horology Curious
12/9/22
I think of it a lot like crypto investments, only invest what you are willing to lose. Im pretty new to this as well but have had ~a dozen reps and most have lasted years no problem.

davidc

1/5/22
I'm with the risk only what your willing to lose... i made my first rep purchase with understanding the worst case scenario of it getting seized and being a total financial loss viewpoint. It made the feeling you get when it arrived safely and you see it and wind it for the first time all the better.

JohnnyBlack

Supporter
Certified
9/9/22
I bought low end IWC from Trusty 10 years ago and it still works to this day, my dad is wearing it daily. He had it serviced maybe 3 times. Bought Montblanc Timewalker at the same time and it worked perfectly few years until it fell and break. I also bought Panerai but not from TD and that watch worked maybe 2 days, then it started to literally fall apart. I would just find tiny screws around me.

So, buy from TD to minimise potential risk and with little bit luck you'll be ok.