• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AVI-8 Flyboy Engineer Automatic

mark2828

Renowned Member
4/11/16
UK

A fantastic little pilot watch which takes styling from a mismatch of IWC XVI series & field watches such as a Hamilton Khaki

but still with its own take so with a cross hair pattern on the dial

the watch is 42mn with a 22mm lug on an engineer style metal bracelet with a milled clasp the links are push pin and not screws but for the price it’s a minor gripe ... however the end links are solid

the watch is fitted with an Automatic seiko NH35 and features a domed Sapphire crystal

the crown is a large diamond style crown reminiscent of old Flieger watches from the 1940s

the caseback features a picture of a 1940s pilot and the Flyboy names comes from a nickname of the Royal Airforce

the dial features a textured grain a little bit like tarmac on a runway not sure if that was deliberate or just a style they chose

the indices are embossed / Raised / applied including the triangle with the two dots found on pilot watches which gives the watch a great look

overall this is a fantastic pilot watch with automatic movement, Sapphire crystal, metal bracelet with a diamond crown , 50 metres water resistant without a screw down crown that with current discount codes found on the AVI-8 website the watch can be found at £190 delivered

which to be honest for the specs and styling it’s pretty hard to beat

the negatives would be AVI-8 as a company are effectively a company located in Hong Kong but have operations located in the UK such as stock and customer services

however they portray to be a fully British company selling aviation timepieces ... now they are part British i.e they have stock here etc but the watches ere made in China etc and for some reason on other watch forums this annoys people

me personally I like the watch , the price , the spec and AVI-8 as a company shipped to me in the UK next day so I don’t really get the negativity

yes they are a newish mushroom brand and a sister company of spinaker watches but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing if when you order you know exactly what you are getting

packaging is nice with an old military style box in olive drab

anyway it’s a nice pilot watch for under £200

mark2828

Renowned Member
4/11/16
UK
It definitely ticks a box if you are after a Flieger IWC type watch but for a fraction of the price

Grfranco

Known Member
26/8/19
Conus
Great automatic watch for the money. Has great presence on the wrist. Love mine….good luck with the sale.

38fd3628c6a5d67913a8aa8c6ed9d81d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk