• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Audemars Piguet ZF 15202ST modded vs Audemars Piguet 14790ST gen

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Hello gents.

Long since i've posted something in here. I bought a gen 14790ST newly serviced/polished a while back, but never got to reviewing it against the 15202ST. So here it is.

14790ST gen:

15202ST ZF v1, modded:

Perhaps it isn't completely correct to compare a "mini-jumbo" with a jumbo, but still i think it makes sense to compare them. Because the finishing, looks, dial finishing etc can be compared.

The ZF 15202ST first version was modded with the following mods:
It got waterproofed, rotor silencing, the "pizza hand base" was modded. Also the case and bracelet he bevelled and refinished. That made the case and bracelet not only look better but also much more comfortable to wear.

In the pictures you can see there's not much difference by the naked eye in the finishing of the case/bracelet. Only thing i could see when holding the watches besides eachother was, that the 14790ST was slightly more shiny. Also the ZF 15202ST v1 is quite thin and wears pretty flush with the wrist.

The dials off course have different color, as the 14790ST also has some nuances where it looks azure blue-green, while the 15202ST is more blue. Both can look a bit black and steel-grey depending on the lighting.

But the interesting part is, that the ZF dial is not as shiny as the gen, nor has the same slight sunburst. It's a bit more "dull".

So all in all imo the differences are very small.

Last edited:

japer

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
19/5/12
EU
Thank you for your nice contribution to the club. Congrats to two wonderful watches! Wear them in good health :).

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
Thanks for the review mate!

The dullness of the dial is to be expected I guess, Im yet to see a rep dial, that has the correct pantograph grooves to catch and refract the light the same way as gen.
What strikes me more tho, is the rep brushing. Compared to gen it's really noticeable just how much worse it is. So might be worth getting it polished to gen spec. As there are many versions of the dials (at least in the classic RO range that is the case), the steel finish is what catches the eye most obviously.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Thanks for the review mate!

The dullness of the dial is to be expected I guess, Im yet to see a rep dial, that has the correct pantograph grooves to catch and refract the light the same way as gen.
What strikes me more tho, is the rep brushing. Compared to gen it's really noticeable just how much worse it is. So might be worth getting it polished to gen spec. As there are many versions of the dials (at least in the classic RO range that is the case), the steel finish is what catches the eye most obviously.

Yeah buddy. The rep dials are not catching light as well as the gens. They have better finishing which reflects light more. I think with custom dials it will be better.

I agree. The polishing does a lot also in how shiny the metal of the gen is. They are very bright.

But incredible with the modding how close you come to gen.

Reactions: Procurator

Kurtoseas

That chill guy
Certified
8/10/22
Honestly, the DP dials for the jumbo are to die for. Petite tapisserie comes to life. Really exceptional custom work. Definitely recommend it.

RollyAP

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/3/21
Here is a video I found of what is supposed to be a gen 15202 and it does have that electric blue look that I get in the DP dial which people often say isn't gen-like (Can neither confirm nor deny as I have never seen a gen in real life)

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

Fettekatze

Renowned Member
Certified
16/11/13
US
Here is a video I found of what is supposed to be a gen 15202 and it does have that electric blue look that I get in the DP dial which people often say isn't gen-like (Can neither confirm nor deny as I have never seen a gen in real life)

In comparison with the gen dial, the DP dial is too dark, too blue, not green enough, and the printed logo is a tad too white and bright. Do you guys agree? Other than that the sunburst looks great.

m1994

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/7/17
I think the ZF by itself is very good, however, with the work that was done on it, it is a spectacular rep.

Very good review as always buddy, we already missed them!

Reactions: jm_brc_7057