• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Assistance with replica strap - IWC Big Pilot

gpsydney

Known Member
27/11/16
Sydney, Australia
Hi... I'm wondering if anyone can assist me. Now before I start, I have received the watch and am very happy with it, so not looking for help with the QC pics attached (and would prefer if you didn't point anything out if you see something wrong!). It's more of a practical question...

This is the first of many replicas I have purchased that came with this type of deployant strap. For starters, it looked VERY long when I unboxed it. Then when trying it on, I had to go to the last (read smallest) hole to make it fit. I thought this was strange as I have a 7" wrist, and normally I'm in the middle or a little large for most of my straps.

Now to my question... am I doing something wrong, or can this be shortened? The tail goes through the two available "savers" and nearly touches the watch itself? I think that's a bit unsightly, and also new for me is having the tail closest to me and very visible (they are normally on the far side for my other watches with deployant or pin buckle straps). Here are a few pics for reference... your advice is appreciated.

91a182cfd5a61581f4447febd7815034.jpg
b248a532143c021a513dcfb165422f74.jpg
558aae009b532320896e94f24e390750.jpg

Sent from the RWI mobile app

WatchestoPlay

Timelord
12/8/16
You can custom order a shorter strap if the fit bothers you. That is a big watch which makes the strap seem longer than it is but judging by your pics it looks like your wrist is smaller than 7"

gpsydney

Known Member
27/11/16
Sydney, Australia
You can custom order a shorter strap if the fit bothers you. That is a big watch which makes the strap seem longer than it is but judging by your pics it looks like your wrist is smaller than 7"

I agree that my wrist looks smaller than 7" in that pic, but it is confirmed by me and my tape measure as correct. It seems I received an extra large strap (if such a thing exists!)...

WatchestoPlay

Timelord
12/8/16
XL straps do exist. So do XS.
The only way to know is to Measure the overall length of each section of strap, standard length should be 135mm/55mm or pretty close to that. Long length should be like 10mm longer each and short should be 10mm shorter.

gpsydney

Known Member
27/11/16
Sydney, Australia
For completeness of information, I got out a tape measure: my wrist is 179mm/7.04". The long end of the strap is 145mm, and the short end (leather only) is 55mm, so it seems I may have received an XL strap!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

AntonioG

Known Member
23/1/16
I have 3 ZF Big Pilots 46mm... the straps always came in the same size (145mm/45mm=20 centimeters total lenght). Measure yours to check. If you need replacement, there's a store on Ebay named "TimepieceRepublic" wich sells good straps for the IWC Big Pilot (much better than these Rep straps).

EDIT: 145/55=20cm total

WatchestoPlay

Timelord
12/8/16
Mine is 145mm/55mm = 20cm. Was yours 45mm or 55mm on the short side?

Sounds like the short end of your strap is too long for you. Maybe both pieces actually. You probably want to go with a custom strap to get it exactly how you want it. You can specify the length of each piece to center the deployant and make sure you don't have a bunch of tail sticking out. Check out the strap vendor section here on rwi

AntonioG

Known Member
23/1/16
Mine is 145mm/55mm = 20cm. Was yours 45mm or 55mm on the short side?

Sorry, i mean 55mm. 145/55=20cm total lenght.

So, your strap seems to be in the correct size for that Rep. Maybe you should order a replacement strap w smaller size.

Chaparral36

Do not accept unsolicited offers
30/5/17
I have 3 ZF Big Pilots 46mm... the straps always came in the same size (145mm/45mm=20 centimeters total lenght). Measure yours to check. If you need replacement, there's a store on Ebay named "TimepieceRepublic" wich sells good straps for the IWC Big Pilot (much better than these Rep straps).

EDIT: 145/55=20cm total
Do you happen to have the link for the store?

vesper00

Getting To Know The Place
22/11/16
Does anyone know where to find a nice calf skin strap like the gen 500912 has on it? Thanks.

jpohl402

Respected Member
10/7/12
@gpsydney
Sorry for late reply. This is how BPs are. The "tail" is closest to you, as opposed to farthest side like most other straps & buckles. Also, the long side is very long and the short side is very short - instead of them being closer to equal. They measure 145x55. There is nothing "wrong" with your strap, it is correct - just order a shorter one ;)

Copterguy

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
14/3/17
Florida
Eh, I have a big pilot that I just got as well and think the strap is too small. Or, maybe as I'm reading this thread, it's normal for it to sit on the wrist this way? I'll post a picture.... small strap.jpg

Attachments

• small strap.jpg
    small strap.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 1
  • small strap.jpg
    small strap.jpg
  • small strap.jpg
    small strap.jpg
  • small strap.jpg
    small strap.jpg

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
How did you guys get the rep strap out?
Can't believe someone didn't already answer your question. ...

If you are going to play this game you are going to need/want a few tools. This is one of the first ones you really should have:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001IZT8R2/?tag=watchinfo022-20

I'm sure you could fine something cheaper, but this is good quality, it will last you a long time and it will save you from scratching you case. There area bunch more tools you might want, but something else you might consider is a loop and the little wire thing that holds it around your head so you don't need to hold it. This leaves both hands free to work on your watch. There is also a little tool that is used to push the pins out and size a bracelet that you should get.

You might or might not always use the loop, but sometimes it is really helpful.

You could get a cheap 3x or 4x loop for just a few dollars and the wire thing is just a few bucks. The pin pusher might be 10 so for something like 35 or $40 you can doall that stuff yourself. Well worth it to be able to change straps and size bracelets yourself.

Once you have the tools. There is a little pin that connects the strap to the watch. It is called a springbar. You compress this pin and the strap will come right off