• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Arg!!! I dropped my SMP Chrono

iluvhockey

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/11/06
Such a bad day. I just dropped my SMP Chrono from three feet over my tile floor of my kitchen. The Sapphire Glass broke. I guess I have to take it to the local watchsmith to take it apart and replace the glass. Is the glass common or should I just use it for spare parts. It appears to work but I can't hear the rotoe moveing. At least I can practice luming with LWA kits. Any thoughts?

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
take it to a watchsmith to have the glass replaced. Wont be any AR on the new one though. U can have him take a quick look at the movement too to see if there's a problem with the rotor? See if the watch still runs and see if it still holds powerreserve. If not, might need servicing (OUCH!)

gioarmani7428

I'm Pretty Popular
2/9/06
It should just be a standard measurement crystal that a watch-smith can order & replace. If not, the dealer would probably sell a new one for not much-- $30 or so; they're very easy to put in with your thumbs--don't even need a crystal-press. This generation of the SMP chrono rep isn't supposed to have AR. Neither does my gen. Only the newsest generation of the SMP chrn (i.e. metal Ohm symbol & red "Seamaster" dial print has AR on it.

amedman

27/7/06
Just remove the movement then push the crystal from the inside with thumbs. it should pop out easily. Now measure it with a caliper (Diameter, thickness) then order a new one from ofrei or other parts supplier. I also bought them on the bay as well. You can buy sapphire but mineral crystal ones are much much cheaper (<$10 shipped) so just get 2 then when it is scratched just change it out.

iluvhockey

24/11/06
Well I dropped by my local watchsmith. He has been here in canada for over thirty years working on watches. He knew it was a asian rep. Just ordered a new glass crystal. $45 Canadian. The rotor was broken in two and he told me parts are hard to get, but he could solder it back and it should be back to normal. So despite a 3-4 feet drop on to hard tile. everything is working, chrono, date change and manual widning. no broken parts outside of the crystal and rotor.

I guess the 7750 is better built than most people think.

caravaggio

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
13/6/06
Agree.

Pretty much the only time we read about the 7750, it is about the bad.

I know there are many happy 7750 owners. They should also post their happy stories.

LL

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
iluvhockey said:
Well I dropped by my local watchsmith. He has been here in canada for over thirty years working on watches. He knew it was a asian rep. Just ordered a new glass crystal. $45 Canadian. The rotor was broken in two and he told me parts are hard to get, but he could solder it back and it should be back to normal. So despite a 3-4 feet drop on to hard tile. everything is working, chrono, date change and manual widning. no broken parts outside of the crystal and rotor.

I guess the 7750 is better built than most people think.

Hey good to hear! when will it all be done?

iluvhockey

24/11/06
He said it would be ready in three working days. But since I work crazy engineering hours. I won't see it until next weekend. Like I said I am surprise that some other parts did not break, especially since th rotor broke in two