• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Are we too obsessed with perfection???

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
Look at the image I have here. Is this an ORG or a REP?

smporg.jpg

Not knowing what I know, I would pick rep, because the bezel insert is not lined up correctly. Right?

Look again, any thing else shout out rep???

How about the dark red GMT???? Looks fake to me, how about you?

Well, that image was captured from this URL:

http://www.omegawatches.com/index.php?id=288&no_cache=1

Yup, this is directly from Omega's web site. I would think that they would want a 100% perfect watch as a representative image, but, the bezel ring, as you can see, is NOT properly lined up.

Well, either OMEGA slipped, has poor quality control, doesn't care, or we are too anal.

If this was a rep, and it was mine, that ring would be off the watch and properly lined up ASAP. I guess if this was my ORG, I would be just a little angry about it.

How about you?

Roeod4

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/3/06
Actually, my eyes may be going. The insert looks pretty well lined up to me.

However, I will agree that most of us are a little too anal when it comes down to it. When we require a working swan neck on a rep (sorry to go off brand in this forum) we are going off the deep end a little. :D IMHO

I have seen a few Rolex and Omegas in an ADs case that have horribly lined bezels. I was looking at a TT GMT and the bezel was lined to be inbetween the markers. Now if there is a watch that I would prefer to have everything line up properly it would be a damn GMT.

higgy

Advisor
17/3/06
I know my eyes are bad...but if it is misaligned, it can't be off more than a degree or two.... :shock:

Oh well

Higgy 8)

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
Roeod4 said:
Actually, my eyes may be going. The insert looks pretty well lined up to me.

However, I will agree that most of us are a little too anal when it comes down to it. When we require a working swan neck on a rep (sorry to go off brand in this forum) we are going off the deep end a little. :D IMHO

I have seen a few Rolex and Omegas in an ADs case that have horribly lined bezels. I was looking at a TT GMT and the bezel was lined to be inbetween the markers. Now if there is a watch that I would prefer to have everything line up properly it would be a damn GMT.

If you look at the bezel insert's triangle, you will see that it is sitting to the left of the peak on the top of the bezel ring. It's definitely off if you know what to look for.

I sometimes wonder if we don't go crazy over details that some people can't see even if they are pointed out.

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
higgy said:
I know my eyes are bad...but if it is misaligned, it can't be off more than a degree or two.... :shock:

Oh well

Higgy 8)

Hi Higgy. It's actually the outer bezel ring that is off, not the insert. Either way, I can see this, and it stands out to me. I guess that's only fair, because I can't always pick out poor crown guards on the Submariners.

Roeod4

14/3/06
OK, I can see it now and it is driving me crazy! :shock: :D :shock:

joeyz400

I saved a ton of $$$
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
5/8/06
The insert being off is an illusion. The watch is not dead center of the camera, slight angle up.

caravaggio

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
13/6/06
Swiss Brand Name + Demand=$$ not quality assurance

Seems like more and more, we're slipping into a lazy comfortable zone but yet we hurry on roads and in cities in search for more money... slipping I tell ya....slippin'

azgjav

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
i've a gen smp chrono and the bezel does not line up at 12 perfectly..it's 2min off to the right and 3min off to the left..quite an eyesore actually..and the date change occurs only at 12:50am, not midnight.

makes me wonder why i paid so much for it(well..it is COSC certified and running at +3s a week, has a nice case, is 300m water resistant, has water resistant chrono pushers, he valve, has an absolutely stunning dial and is just oh-so-handsome on the wrist..) when my $600 7753 is keeping COSC time and changes date at 12:00mn...

well..maybe i'm just an anal retentive jnr WIS.. :)

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
joeyz400 said:
The insert being off is an illusion. The watch is not dead center of the camera, slight angle up.
The bezel is way, way off. The pointy bits on the outside should be aligned on the axis of the watch.

The problem is, the photo is of a watch put together for a photoshoot. If you ever go to an AD, you'll see that the bezels are usually perfectly aligned.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Yeah... we discussed about this same thing at TRC long time ago. We thought that the rep factories probably used that exact factory photo to build the reps. :)

I have never seen a gen SMP with misaligned bezel. Never. I'm not saying they don't exist though. This shot, however, is just an embarrassing mistake from Omega.

azgjav

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
Pugwash said:
azgjav said:
makes me wonder why i paid so much for it
... because you can resell it for near the original price. :D

well...not really..i'll be lose abt 25% off original price..and with the misaligned bezel and prob with date change, i doubt anyone wld buy it..

of course, i can always send it in repairs under warranty but then i'll be risking getting the hands scratched, dust under xtal, scratches on case, etc...

ok ok, i AM anal. :p

miquel

Known Member
6/9/06
My gen Tag Heuer came with a misaligned bezel.

The store I bought it from said they are "supposed" to be like that. Just like it is "supposed" to be a $1000 watch. This is why I buy 7 reps for the cost of 1 gen.

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
By-Tor said:
Yeah... we discussed about this same thing at TRC long time ago. We thought that the rep factories probably used that exact factory photo to build the reps. :)

I have never seen a gen SMP with misaligned bezel. Never. I'm not saying they don't exist though. This shot, however, is just an embarrassing mistake from Omega.

When I purchased my first two tone SMP, the bezel was indeed off. The dealer did fix it immediately. However, other flaws began to surface. I noticed a discoloration on the dial, a pin fell out of the bracelet, and the watch kept poor time. I wrote an email to the omega web site, and within 12 hours, I was contacted by a factory rep who brought a replacement to my front door!!! I was VERY impressed. I would never hesitate to purchase another Omega. Talk about customer service. The rep told me that he wanted the bad watch so Omega could analyze how it got past quality control like that.

groovy

29/3/06
WackoBirdKeeper said:
If you look at the bezel insert's triangle, you will see that it is sitting to the left of the peak on the top of the bezel ring. It's definitely off if you know what to look for.

I sometimes wonder if we don't go crazy over details that some people can't see even if they are pointed out.

At first I didn't see it, and I was okay with that, resolving that I was not as anal as you guys.

Then WBK pointed it out and I had to go back a look and now I see it, and its making me nuts! [smilie=banghead.gif]

thanks Wacko

Novesh

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/06
wats wrong w/ perfection in watches?/

we are paying for it arent we?

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
Heck, they want bad watches
(replace with good)