• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

APS 15500 not keeping power help

Ac1013

Renowned Member
Certified
23/3/13
I have a APS 15500 , the watch is not keeping power even i wear it everyday. The rotor seems to be working since the gear attached to the rotor gear spin as the roter turn. However the watch run slower and slower each day. And if i dont wind it, it stop around 3-4 days .
Any idea whats the issue is ?
Thanks

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
And if i dont wind it, it stop around 3-4 days .
Any idea whats the issue is ?
Thanks
You need to clarify this. So when you mentioned "if you don't wind it", did you mean that the watch is left on the desk or someplace without being worn at all? Or worn on the wrist and in this case, it is supposed to be auto-wound but did not?

Reactions: TESLA760

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
it stop around 3-4 days
Wish I had a watch that ran that long…..
Sad Anthony Anderson GIF

Ac1013

Renowned Member
Certified
23/3/13
You need to clarify this. So when you mentioned "if you don't wind it", did you mean that the watch is left on the desk or someplace without being worn at all? Or worn on the wrist and in this case, it is supposed to be auto-wound but did not?
Hi legend thanks for reply.
I wore the watch 3 days to work , but i leave it on the desk everynight. Around the 4th day at night the watch stopped. and within those 3 days the watch is running slower and slower . Like -3 minute in 2 days.
Now If i manually wind it eveynight before i sleep the watch keeps time fine.
I guess the auto wind is not working or it needs a very big swing to charge it up. Since when its stop i can swing it back on , dont know if thats mean the rotor is still working .

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Well ok, I understand now.

Power reserve can be a very tricky thing, especially when determining if a watch is autowinding well. For your watch we need to make the distinction between 2 issues:

1. Power reserve. Now simply putting the watch on the wrist is not going to charge it. The power reserve is determined by how much you move your wrist when the watch is worn. This also depends on how much power reserve the watch has when you start wearing it.

2. The watch running slow has nothing to do with the power reserve.

Now this is what you do:
1. From zero reserve (watch stopped running completely), wind it until the second hand starts to move. Then give it another 30 winds. Then wear the watch like you would normally. Note when the watch runs down to zero reserve again (stoppage of movement)

2. Note the timekeeping when the watch is worn at the end of each 24hr period and make a note.

The good news is that a proper movement overhaul and regulation will likely take care of both issues at one go. Movements often arrive dry and dirty from the factory and this can affect both the timekeeping and power reserve.

Ac1013

Renowned Member
Certified
23/3/13
Well ok, I understand now.

Power reserve can be a very tricky thing, especially when determining if a watch is autowinding well. For your watch we need to make the distinction between 2 issues:

1. Power reserve. Now simply putting the watch on the wrist is not going to charge it. The power reserve is determined by how much you move your wrist when the watch is worn. This also depends on how much power reserve the watch has when you start wearing it.

2. The watch running slow has nothing to do with the power reserve.

Now this is what you do:
1. From zero reserve (watch stopped running completely), wind it until the second hand starts to move. Then give it another 30 winds. Then wear the watch like you would normally. Note when the watch runs down to zero reserve again (stoppage of movement)

2. Note the timekeeping when the watch is worn at the end of each 24hr period and make a note.

The good news is that a proper movement overhaul and regulation will likely take care of both issues at one go. Movements often arrive dry and dirty from the factory and this can affect both the timekeeping and power reserve.
Thanks legend! I will give that a try and see how that goes.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thanks legend! I will give that a try and see how that goes.
Also when you say the watch is running slower and slower you need to understand if this is actually a statement which is factually accurate:

If a watch runs slow by 1min every 24hrs it’s going to be 6min behind on the sixth day. However it’s not running slower and slower. It’s running consistently slow by 1min a day.

If a watch runs 1min slow the first 24hrs, and say 1.5min slow the second 24hrs and 2min slow the third 24hrs cycle, you can say the watch is running slower and slower as it loses more time in each subsequent 24hrs cycle.

The two issues are resolved differently.