• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP15400 - Which Factory to choose

Mindwatch

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Certified
22/5/18
Hi folks,

thanks for reading and hopefully you might adding your experience and comments.

I want to source a AP15400 for myself. Just answering a couple of questions and giving feedback why i was so far choosing the consequent model based on what i could catch up so far.

Even i like more the style of the 15500 - i would like to get a 15400 - based on the dial colour decision as i already have a 15500 in blue - i wanted another dial colour. The dial of the 15500 just is off and look mainly to me based on all the pictures plasticly white without decent sunburst or silver effect. Which is different on the 15400 dial - there the dial is more likely silver then even white.
Which is based on the pictures for both factories APSF & ZF.

So for those to knw which might give some advice - Model is AP15400 white/silver

My +/- list for the factories

APSF 15400 V3:
+ Clone movement (with slow date change)
+ Rotor: Yellow gold
+ Dial fitted with teeth
+ Case height adjusted to clone movement

ZF 15400 V2:
+ Clone movement (with slow date change)
+ Overall case Quality
- Dial fitted by glue on the movement
- Case height still based on Miyota version
- Rotor still more rose gold (correct?)

What is your experience or advise on what factory to choose?

Based on the YG rotor, both having possibly the same clone movement, APSF build quality might be very comparable to ZF BUT the dial is not just glued on the movement - tend me to APSF 15400V3

Did i miss something in my judgement?

Free for any tip, advise or info i missed.

WatchNoobs

1/9/22
Hi there! My understanding is that ZF has better dial and hands. Whereas APSF has better bracelet/case. I remember reading elsewhere people buying both to swap ZF dial into APSF. Having the dial glued wont make any difference so it doesnt really matter, both can fit a gen dial if later on you decide to franken it.

APPPFAN

29/6/22
Just found this video of the APS 15400 V3 version

I have both ZF and APSF in hand. IMO Franken 15400 with Gen dial (if possible along with gen date disk) with APSF case height is most ideal. The APSF v3 hands should makes it closer to gen after some bevel and plating work. I've used ZF hands for my franken, the shape is closer to gen.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I have both ZF and APSF in hand. IMO Franken 15400 with Gen dial (if possible along with gen date disk) with APSF case height is most ideal. The APSF v3 hands should makes it closer to gen after some bevel and plating work. I've used ZF hands for my franken, the shape is closer to gen.
+1. My exact sentiments.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
How about from the movement standpoint. APSF stands to be the winner?
Movement wise I do believe they are from the same root source produced by the same factory. Is there any perceivable difference that you seen so far?

Reactions: Allure