• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP ROO TA10 w/ OEM Strap

SpootyPuff

I'm Pretty Popular
19/6/10
FINALLY!!!!
After some weeks of waiting with a sprinkle of timing and luck, I was able to get it!

Long story short:
I e-mailed an AD to order replacement strap for ref.26363ST, guy complies, asks for my cc and billing info and tells me that it's a 4week delivery delay. These guys wait until THE exact last day of the 4th week before he says - "before I charge your card, send over your ser#" ugh, BOO!! I didn't reply back.

Fast forward to 2 days after the fact, I meet with a client and he notices my AP. Not a big watch guy but definitely a BIG baller, familiar with the name, and with big pull in all different walks of life. I tell him the rep story, my love for watches, and the failed attempt at buying an OEM strap from an AD - he's fascinated! After our business meeting, he says "I might know a guy..." (referring to someone working for AP)

Turns out he did know someone that had something to do with owning a local AD. I don't know specifics but he gave me the go to re-order and it came the 2nd time around :D :D :D

I didn't much ask what he did to get it. I just thanked him....ALOT!
If you ever meet this guy, he's got just over a million with our firm alone, however he dresses like he just got done plowing his corn fields! He's not a materialistic guy and he measures people more by principle and passion among other things. A rarity this day and age.

Well, without further ado, the pics! I'll comment as we go along:

An exciting day:
(In the package was a 2010 brochure, some sort of service pamphlet talking about service intervals and what is performed, and the strap :D)

fedex1.jpg

fedex3.jpg

fedex4.jpg

fedex5.jpg

Side by side pairing with the rep:
(gen on the left, rep on the right)

strap1.jpg

Zooming in:
The quality of the gen is just amazing. It is more like soft, foamy, slightly rubbery/gummy, leather.
The rep is like old leather...stiffer and closer to plasticky..but I wouldn't call it crap. I would still rock it. It's not as bad as I perceived it from reading other people's comments about the strap.

long8.jpg

The longer strap:
(gen on top, rep on the bottom)
-You can see from the frontal pics just a slight difference in shape of the stitching at the bottom edge of the strap(neck).
-Also, the gen has a more subtle, uniform tapering from the shoulder to the neck; the rep is more accented and closer to the shoulder then plateaus before the midsection into a straight line to the neck.

long1.jpg

long2.jpg

Taking a closer look at the back of the strap:

(Shoulders; gen on the right, rep on the left)
The differences are in plain sight. Gen has a suede lining, the stitch is more evident and pronounced, in a much straight fashion, and runs further up, closer to the edge of the shoulder. The AP stamp is just a tad bit smaller on the gen, otherwise spot on.

long3.jpg

(Neck; gen on the left, rep on the right)
As noted before, the shape of the stitching is slightly different. To add, on the gen it looks more of a continuous stitch whereas the rep looks to have stopped right at the middle of the roundabout and then continues.

long4.jpg

Profile:
The gen is thicker on the shoulder half. That's the area where the perforation is and it's evident there is another layer of leather inserted in there. Towards the neck, it is still thicker than the rep.

long5.jpg

Closer look:
The position of the plot on the gen is bent down slightly. The screw is flush with the leather.

long6.jpg

Head on:
As noted, endlinks on gen are bent down abit. Spacing between plots are exact.

long7.jpg

The buckle side:
(gen on the left, rep on the right)
Again, the quality of the leather is night and day. Rep looks shiny! (bad type of shiny)
Also, the stitching runs high on the shoulder, and a totally different pattern on the neck.

short1.jpg

Underside:
Same differences, suede lining, longer stitch and difference in pattern.
Here you can also see how thin the rep leather is.
The stamp is pretty spot on except for the gen is slightly smaller and more visible.

short2.jpg

short9.jpg

Plot holes:
Well here's something different! Inside the gen's shoulders are METAL brackets to hold the plots and keep them from destroying the leather. The rep is plastic :(
The gen is a square cut out; The rep has an extra plastic ledge protruding out from the inner-most wall to help keep the plots up right. (this is why on the side-view pics, the plots on the gen strap were bent forward a little.

short3.jpg

short4.jpg

short5.jpg

Buckle-end:
The cut-out for the deployant clasp is longer and thinner.
Also, on the side-view, you can see the structural difference between the gen and rep, along with the stitching.

short6.jpg

short7.jpg

short8.jpg

TA DAAAA!!

And of course, wristies:

wrist1.jpg

wrist2.jpg

wrist3.jpg

And obligatory fashion shot:

stand1.jpg

rol_man

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
Great review and write up. Have been more interested in AP's as of late and these reviews help a ton! Enjoy the gen strap!!!

JC7

Put Some Respect On My Name
15/6/10
awesomeness, ian! great story, just goes to show what you can get in life if you surround yourself with quality people.

..that being said the rep strap doesn't seem bad at all.

HR911

Renowned Member
27/8/09
UK
Thank you for taking the time to post this excellent review.

In a way, it shows how far rep straps have come, but the gen strap is obviously on another level interms of leather quality....enjoy it.

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
Great review, great strap, what should I say? I want one!
Now the question, how much did you pay?

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
I really like that AP stand.

I'm guessing you could have got 2 full ceramic ultimates for the price of that strap! :)

SpootyPuff

I'm Pretty Popular
19/6/10
Thanks mucho for all the compliments guys!! I'm really loving this strap!

@JC - total agreement! A great life lesson there ;)
@frig - ebay! I got lucky, some dude was selling it as a set of 3!

@edge, guru and everyone inquiring about the price..... you ready for this??

Brace yourself!

$317 USD :D

Suprised?! Me too!! I thought I had to dip into my Chronopassion budget for this!
Now I don't quite know if that was a reduced price because of my client's actions.
Like I said, I feel it would be rude to ask. I'm just grateful :)
All that was charged to my card was $317 plus tax and shipping = came out to $334 or somewhere around there.

Edgematic

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/08
That is a good price! It looks like I'll have to get in touch with an AD :p :)

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
Well, I guess you got a friend, it should be over 600.....

horologik

I'm Pretty Popular
8/6/09
Montreal, QC, Canada
That's really cheap for a Gen. Guru is right, this runs around 600+. Let me go to La Swiss in Montreal, I know the guys there. Let's see how much they charge.
I will get back to you guys.