• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP 15400 FK?

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
TSWatch (not a TD here AFAIK) posted a new 15400 by FK. They claim for gen thickness including open caseback. Sounds too good to be true
https://ts-station.cn/mobile/goods.php?ProId=26370
Would love to hear expert's opinion on this release

98443ef969.jpg

6a46404db2.jpg

a3f7137a8c.jpg

44af78a027.jpg

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Yes, theoretically it is possible to get 9.8mm on the rep, with a thinner caseback, and a thinner gasket.
But the rest of the watch is nothing to shout about.

Reactions: Allure

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
Yes, theoretically it is possible to get 9.8mm on the rep, with a thinner caseback, and a thinner gasket.
But the rest of the watch is nothing to shout about.
As an AP expert, can you please point out the flaws?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
As an AP expert, can you please point out the flaws?

Rather than acknowledging that I am an AP expert, I think we can all learn together in here, because what I can see, you can too.
The FK release does not have exceptional flaws compared with the JF or 15400 reps in general. Usual flaws of hands, movement etc applies.
The dial prints "Audemars Piguet" and "Automatic" seems to be thinner than the rest (and the gen one). Other than that, it can well be another 15400 iteration by another factory. Nothing revolutionary and nothing to take a second glance at.
Looking at the watch profile, it does have a thinner bezel-case gasket vs the JF and that will naturally contribute to the diminished thickness. It is entirely possible that the watch is 9.8mm, since a thinned JF can achieve 9.9mm. But even if the watch has the exact thickness as the gen 15400, lots of small details will still give it away as a rep. We are all bothered by different details on a rep. To me, this isn't better than the JF 15400 despite the seemingly more accurate case dimensions.

MasterWatch you have anything to add on that proverbial bezel/case proportions bro? lol

Reactions: Allure and csthe

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
legend let's keep that discussion for some other day.

I am sorry but this FK looks rediculious. I doubt the watch is as claimed 9.8mm the caseback is way Thicker than the bezel. It's going to look rediculious on the wrist.

Doesn't matter if it is 9.8mm or 10.6mm

With thoes proportions it's a big fat fail for me.

Reactions: legend and csthe

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
Thank you both mates!
I see the regular flaws (hands and etc), I was wondering about specific flaws in this release.
So to sum up: regular flaws like jf (hands base, dial printing, etc) and even though the overall thickness is correct, the proportion between the case parts is incorrect?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
legend let's keep that discussion for some other day.

I am sorry but this FK looks rediculious. I doubt the watch is as claimed 9.8mm the caseback is way Thicker than the bezel. It's going to look rediculious on the wrist.

Doesn't matter if it is 9.8mm or 10.6mm

With thoes proportions it's a big fat fail for me.

Thank you both mates!
I see the regular flaws (hands and etc), I was wondering about specific flaws in this release.
So to sum up: regular flaws like jf (hands base, dial printing, etc) and even though the overall thickness is correct, the proportion between the case parts is incorrect?

lol MasterWatch you destroyer of dreams. I have not studied the proportions, but stated that the thickness of 9.8mm is theoretically possible. Without a basis of comparison, it is hard to tell. But now, I cannot unsee the proportions haha.

VMSG yes, I think Masterwatch was right about the proportions being ridiculous. My observation focused on the thickness and usual features, but he had quite rightfully pointed out that it will be a strange watch to have on the wrist. Just go with what he said and forget this release.

Reactions: Allure and csthe

dat231

Horology Curious
19/6/19
The font looks off, the AP is too thick while the other two lines are too thin :) and I still dont know why they insist to use rose gold rotor while gen use yellow gold (many other brands have yellow gold rotor reps)