• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP 15202st gen thickness and case back comparing to rep

obro

Horology Curious
9/8/19
Hi I’m still new in the forum and have been browsing around to get info on the difference between gen and rep in AP 15400 and 15202st.

From my understanding the gen 15202st has a thickness of 8.1mm and the case back itself is actually integrated into the base creating a thin and seamless look between the brushed finish case and polished case back. So when looking at the watch from the side "brushed" gap between the case back and the case do not exist at least from various photos and videos I found online like below.
3oedR.png
3oAjQ.jpg
3oLOL.jpg

Recently I have found a watch reseller that post new and old 15202st for sale however I noticed the case back look different that what I understand it to be. Please see the image.
3ooAj.jpg
3oWaK.jpg
3o5J8.jpg
3oalv.jpg
3oiF1.jpg
3oq64.jpg

I am not saying that these are reps by any means. Everything looks completely gen in my eyes. So I am wondering if there are variant of case back type in the 15202st. Can you see the brushed gap in the case back like I do or am I just seeing thing here?? Forum members opinions would be very appreciated here as I am going crazy over this lol

Last edited:

obro

Horology Curious
9/8/19
Found the answer for this. Please ignore my stupidity. Thanks

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
First and foremost, there is no such thing as a "brushed gap" as a gap is technically made of air.
What you meant, is a very thin but visible vertical edge/surface above the slanted one. This is normal.
The problem is you, if variations or updates drive you crazy. You are worrying too much about the wrong things.
Having that edge or lacking it, does not define the authenticity of the watch.

obro

Horology Curious
9/8/19
Thanks for the reply legend. You are totally correct the visible brushed surface is the results from the variations of gen. I am not looking to compare this with any reps and as you said the problem is me looking into this too much and it was driving me crazy lol. Like I mentioned though I did not say the watches in photos are reps at all just merely stating if anyone have information on this kind of variation. With some more research I found out that AP somehow change the construction of the 15202st case. This supposedly happened somewhere in 2015 where they completely change the construction of the case from momobloc to 2 pieces construction. So 15202st prior to that should have no brushed surface in the case back.

Reactions: legend