• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Anything old or unusual in your collection?

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
I need to take some real pics in the daylight, but here's a teaser:

f290055cuwkkl.jpg

The date on it is 1916 and the condition is unbelievable. :anopsis:

acharria

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/10/09
Wow a Ruger from WWI, really cool...
Pics Pics Pics asap.....

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
Not a Ruger (American); it is a Luger (German). The classic WW II Nazi handgun but you must have a very early example dating back to WWI! The toggle bolt design was complex and not too reliable. To my knowledge no other handguns ever used that design. Ruger copied the look of the hand grip but not the functioning of the bolt and I don't think Ruger ever chambered their design in anything other than 22LR.

I have two (38 and 41 cal.) Colt "Lightenings." Anyone know what that is? It is not the "Peacemaker" seen in all the old Cowboy movies; although it was produced about the same time. Sometimes the 38 is called the "Lightening" and the 41 is called the "Thunder."

I will take and post pics later in this thread.

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
Model 1877 Colt Lightning and Thunderer

In 1873 Colt first produced the Single Action Army (SAA) revolver which has been called the Peacemaker and is commonly seen in Cowboy movies.
Most people think this was the only handgun used in the west.
Few people know Colt first produced a double action revolver in 1877 which became known as the Lightning (in 38 caliber) and the Thunderer in (41 caliber).
I happen to have one of each.
While the SAA developed a reputation for reliability and durability unfortunately the double action revolver developed the opposite reputation.
Few used it but among those few was John Wesley Hardin and Billy the Kid.

The first two photographs are Thunderer; that last two are Lightning.
The grips are known as bird's head grips.

DSC_0058a.JPG

DSC_0062(1).JPG

DSC_0075a.JPG

DSC_0068a.JPG

RolexAddict

Dealer (watch buildings)
Trusted Dealer
27/10/07
To my knowledge no other handguns ever used that design.

Yes, the Belgium gunmaker A. Francotte built this in 1920 :
The cal .22long Francotte training pistol
they were built especially for the Swiss army as target training guns

Franc01.jpg

Franc02.jpg

Franc03.jpg

Personnally, I have curiosities in my basement, a pair of Lugers Marine (20cm long barrels) in .22long, very rare. They were converted from original cal 7.65 (.32) to .22long riffle. They are in a wood cabinet with red velvet inside, with spare magazines, oiler ans screwdriver
Let me the time (lazy) to go to the basement and move all junk and find this gun box

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
Never knew that gun of yours existed.

BUT the gun in your recent photos is not the same as the Luger in the X-ray you posted first.

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
I posted the Luger, but I haven't had time to take pics of my 1916 DWM. I'll try to get it done tonight or tomorrow.

Nop

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
Wow, I finally got around to getting some pics of the Luger. Mind you, macro photos always make guns look terrible, as pits look huge and finishes look blotchy. ;)

It's got a little finish wear and it's missing a grip screw, but it really is a beautiful piece. These shots are right out of the safe; it's been handled repeatedly and it wasn't even wiped down so there's plenty of 'environmental contaminants" (a.k.a dust & lint) on it. Nonetheless, enjoy!

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_1602.jpg

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
I have a 1976 limited Bicentennial edition Remington 30.06
Does that count as old or special??

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
Lovely Luger.

Is that mechanism called a toggle bolt?
And what is the reason for it?
I thought 9mm could be handled by a simple blowback mechanism.

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
Lovely Luger.

Is that mechanism called a toggle bolt?
And what is the reason for it?
I thought 9mm could be handled by a simple blowback mechanism.

I think in 1916 they were still sorting out how best to make handgun semi-auto. The Browning design was brand new at that time.

Very nice pistol.

staugur

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/3/10
This might keep you guessing

OK. It's old,it's very rare but the maker is well known. Better known for their target pistols. The grips are buffalo horn,the frames nickel plate and the barrel is stainless. Oh! and it's double action. Obviously .22 long rifle.

IMGP1318.jpg

IMGP1315.jpg

IMGP1317.jpg