• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I HATE WESTERN UNION!!!!!

wurlitzer1

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/3/07
OK, so from my subject line, I suppose that everyone knows what I'm frustrated about. I just need to vent.

I went to purchase some watches from a dealer (he's on TWC) who only accepts Western Union. I had tried WU only once before, at a storefront, and got into a frustrating argument with the clerk, who told me that they couldn't transfer money in British Pounds (I'm in US). After a while, I just gave up and did a bank-to-bank transfer and ate the additional cost.

This time, I'm transferring funds in US dollars to Canton. I try on-line. I set up an account, put in my Debit card no, and all the additional info. WU does a verification with the bank that comes back OK, then tells me I have to call to provide additional info. So I call, wait 10 minutes, and then get some customer service rep who says she needs my previous address. I tell her that I've been living at the same address for 30 years, and I think I remember the street (city hasn't changed), but I can't be sure without going through boxes of old paperwork. She tells me to wait (another 10 minutes on hold), then tells me that my transfer does not meet WU's business model (whatever that means???), and that my transfer was denied. I have plenty money in my bank account, so that can't be the problem. I ask why I was denied and she tells me that she "Can't provide that information". I ask to speak to her supervisor - same story, his supervisor - same story, his supervisor (now I'm at the assistant manager level - talk about bloated middle management) - he also tells me that there's nothing he can do and will not tell me why I was denied. I ask whether it was the "previous address" thing, and explained to him that even the Federal Government only required me to go back 7 years when I applied for my secret clearance (even after 9/11). It was like talking to a broken record (for all you older folks out there). He just repeated that he could not (or would not) tell me what the problem is, but that my transfer was denied and that I could not attempt again online without getting the same results. He said my only other option is to go to a local WU office and pay with cash. I finally just hung up the phone.

So now I have to deal with a clerk at a storefront again - we'll see if that yields any better results than before.

I can't remember being this frustrated since my run-in with the phone co. (Pacific Bell) a few years back. One month I didn't receive a bill (lost in the mail??? - wouldn't be the first time the USPS screwed up). They threatened to cut off service 2 weeks later (that letter I got). The amount seemed higher than normal, so I wanted a copy of the bill. Pac Bell had closed all their local offices and their internet and automated phone system wouldn't allow me to speak with a representative or get a copy of the bill, because my account was delinquent (this was the first time I was late in over 25 years). I had to pay the bill on-line to get to talk to someone, or be able to get their customer service e-mail to send me anything but a delinquent account threat. I paid the bill, talked to a representative, who promised to send me a copy of bill but never did. I then called them again and told them to disconnect my phone. They asked if I was moving - I told them NO. They asked who would be providing me with phone service - I declined to answer (It would be my Cable company) and I told them why I was unhappy. They told me that they would not disconnect unless I provided that info. I said fine, then I would send them a registered letter, and would see them in court when they tried to collect on a line I instructed them to disconnect. They finally relented. Now I deal with a Cable company that's not that responsive either, but at least I can show up at their office and yell a bit if necessary.

evilgenius88

Plotting world domination
Supporter
Certified
11/4/07
Volcano Base
wurlitzer1 said:
who told me that they couldn't transfer money in British Pounds (I'm in US).

I feel your misery, some companies have such bad customer service I'd sometimes want to pay the Hell's Angels a couple of hundred to go to their callcenter and trash the place 8)

But about the British Pounds transfer thing... why not send the USD equivalent? He can get it converted to local currency when he picks it up...

The thing I hate most about WU is that they want € 20, that's $ 27, for a money transfer to China from The Netherlands... that just sucks. But the good thing is I can do a WU transfer from any post office here, where they have friendly and normal people working.

shadowplay

Known Member
22/4/07
And you might find your account missing the transfer amount for up to five days. Banks 'set aside' funds for these transactions and they need to process the return to your account. Very annoying.

wurlitzer1

24/3/07
Re: the British Pounds thing: That's the way the dealer wanted it so he wouldn't have to pay the conversion fees. I even offered to pay the fees, but he said NO - go figure - he may have not liked WU either. BTW, that was for an antique radio, one of my many other collector hobbies.

I would have welcomed WU in the post office here, but the only thing the US post office will issue is International Money Orders, which could take up to 2 weeks to issue (they're not issued locally) - then I have to mail to China - definitely not preferred! WU here pays small local shops as agents, then doesn't train them. Hence that frustration. I'll try again later today - we'll see how that goes.

I know about the bank "set aside". Fortunately, this is a just minor annoyance, as I presently have enough in my account to cover the amount twice over without impacting my other bills. As long as it doesn't come out of my account twice, I'm OK. So... I'm keeping all e-mails from WU to present to the bank, if that occurs.

scottyhammond

2/4/07
I ran into the same problem trying to send on-line. The agent asked for my previous address (I gave street but he wanted the number too which I could not remember). Was I calling from home or work? I said work. He asked for the phone number (I assumed to double check against the caller ID). He probably asked me five or six questions. At the end he denied my transaction as well.

Based on the questions he asked I assumed he was looking at my credit report. So I ordered a copy of my report and double checked the information. Sure enough there were a few "biographical" errors - My previous address was incorrect (house number wrong), and it still showed my old employer (I changed jobs almost two years ago). So I am sure that is why I got the questions "wrong".

Armed with this new information I tried another on-line transaction. I was again asked to call to verify, and this time I sailed right through the questions. The agent said I shouldn't have to do this again for a while, but they do re-verify at random to protect against identity theft.

I admit I was as ticked as you when I got denied the first time. But if you think about their business (sending cash from Person A to Person B pretty much at will), I for one am glad they take some precautions.

coop

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
How the hell did they run your credit without your consent? Did they have you ss #? Man thats BS. They sould not have to run your credit to send money!

D

d4m.test

Honest to god im sorry but i think paypal is the only way to go i dont understand these people that take western union its such a hassle and paypal is so EASY

narikaa

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
15/3/06
Re the GBP thing....some WU outlets thru either lack of training or avaricious design, refuse to 'FIX' the foreign currency amount. What was undoubtedly wanted was WU to take dollars art their going rate for the UK amount of pounds (lets say in broad terms you give $200 for a £100 transfer). This is then fixed at £100, no matter when this is picked up the UK receiver gets £100. What they like to happen is to take $200 telling you, correctly, that that is what £100 equates to...this 'unfixed' transfer now arrives at the UK for collection as $200....now the fun bit....we are now undoutedly into the following day, not only have the rates changed but the conversion rates arnt the same in different countries!!! The UK receiner doesnt know what he will get till he picks up....the only certainty is he wont be getting £100.

Re the 'does not meet WU's business model ' its a China thing.

scottyhammond

2/4/07
coop said:
How the hell did they run your credit without your consent? Did they have you ss #? Man thats BS. They sould not have to run your credit to send money!

Checking my report was to verify I was who I said I was, just in case someone stole my debit/credit card number. [smilie=sad2.gif] They weren't using my credit score or anything like that to approve the transaction.

If you really want anonymity just take a wad of $20 bills to the nearest WU location (K-Mart, grocery stores, etc.). I did it once and it was pretty painless. You don't even need to use your real name when filling out the form because they don't check ID for transactions of less than $5,000. Just make sure the recipient knows what alias you used so he/she won't have a problem picking up the money on their end.